Info for Parents

Working with your son or daughter to help them make good decisions about their future finances and yours is an important way you can help them succeed.

For parents of college students, that usually means learning about financial aid. The information below will get you started.

Student Rights to Privacy—and How to Call About Your Student's Aid

  • The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) gives students certain rights with respect to their education records.
  • Based on FERPA, anyone calling IUP on behalf of a student must be authorized on the Student Record Release Authorization for information to be shared.
  • Through MyIUP, students can give specific individuals or entities permission to view and discuss their educational and financial record information. Though students can choose the types of information shared, access to grades can be important when checking if students are making Satisfactory Academic Progress to keep their financial aid.
  • Students should go to MyIUP, then Personal Info. On the Personal Info Page, look for the heading Student Information, and then choose Record Release Information to get to the online form.
  • Students will need to create a keyword and phrase for authorized users.
  • For information, visit the Office of the Registrar.

Parent and Family Member Orientation

Students aren't the only ones going through a big change as college begins. That's why we hold spring/summer Parent and Family Orientation. Parent and Family Orientation takes place at the same time as the two-day freshman student program or the one-day transfer student orientation program.

Parent and Family Orientations include multiple topics helpful for parents and family members, including a presentation from the Financial Aid Office. Please view the PowerPoint presentation for an example of what the Financial Aid Office presents during Parent and Family Orientations.

First Step for Aid—File Your FAFSA

When it comes to financial aid for college, the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the first step. You'll need the IUP Code: 003277 to fill it out.

After a student completes the FAFSA, they receive an offer of student loans, grants, scholarships, and work-study jobs if they are eligible. If these do not cover the costs, parents can consider Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loans and Private/Alternative Loans. Learn more about the types of financial aid.

Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loans

The Parent PLUS Loan is an additional loan option that the parent of a dependent undergraduate student can use to borrow on behalf of the student for educational expenses. A step-parent may apply on behalf of the student only if they are listed on the FAFSA.

The student must be enrolled on at least a half-time basis (six credits) in order to be eligible to receive the loan. Parents can borrow amounts up to the cost of education minus other financial aid.

Private/Alternative Loans (Parents as Co-Signers)

Students are the borrowers. However, they most likely will need a co-signer. The co-signer can be a parent or other individual to co-sign the loan on behalf of an undergraduate or graduate student to help pay for college.

Usually, students first apply for Federal Direct Loans. If this doesn't cover costs, then parents typically apply for Federal Direct PLUS loans before they apply for private/alternative loans, because Federal Loans tend to have better rates and terms.

For a complete list of private loan servicers who participate in this specific program, please visit ELMSelect. For more information, see Types of Financial Aid.