Having a job is something a lot of college students have in common. No question, it helps your financial outlook to earn money while you are a student.

There are many paths for IUP students in search of jobs. One of those paths, Federal Work-Study, is a form of financial aid.

First, File Your FAFSA

Apply for federal grants, loans, and work-study aid with one form.

Submit the FAFSA Online

IUP's School Code is 003277.

What is Federal Work-Study?

Federal Work-Study helps students with financial need get jobs, usually on campus. Eligible students are paid for their work hours through federal funds with direct deposit or by paycheck through the IUP Payroll Services Office.

When you fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), your eligibility for this kind of financial aid is determined.

Federal Work-Study Does Not Guarantee a Job

A Federal Work-Study offer is an opportunity for employment but not a guarantee of a job. Students are responsible for securing their own positions.

You can look for jobs on the Student Employment Center website. Here, you can find on-campus and off-campus job listings. Most Federal Work-Study jobs for students are listed under on-campus jobs.

The employment ads include jobs that require a Federal Work-Study offer, as well as jobs that do not require Federal Work-Study or financial need (such as State Work-Study jobs, University Employment jobs, and jobs near campus in the community). There are also links to places near campus that hire students.

How to Know if You Are Eligible for Federal Work-Study

You can check your financial record on MyIUP to find out if you are eligible for Federal Work-Study:

In the current MyIUP portal, my.iup.edu:

  1. Sign in to MyIUP and log in with your username and network password.
  2. Select the Finances page and go to the Financial Aid and Cost Information section.
  3. Select Your Federal Work-Study Eligibility.

In the new MyIUP portal:

  1. Log in to MyIUP. Go to Discover and search for "work study."
  2. On the Student Employment card, click on Federal Work Study Eligibility tool.
Continue in either portal:
  1. Select aid year and click Submit.
  2. Your FWS eligibility status will then be available on the next screen.

How to Know if You Have a Federal Work-Study Offer in Your Aid Package

You can check for a Federal Work-Study offer in your financial aid package on MyIUP :

In the current MyIUP portal, my.iup.edu:

  1. Sign in to MyIUP and log in with your username and network password.
  2. Select the Finances page and go to the Financial Aid and Cost Information section.
  3. Select Your Federal Work-Study Eligibility.

In the new MyIUP portal:

  1. Log in to MyIUP. Go to Discover and search for "financial aid."
  2. On the Tuition, Aid, and Finances card, select Financial Aid Information.
Continue in either portal:
  1. Select award offer.
  2. Select aid year (at the top).
  3. Scroll down to the Options to Pay Net Cost section.
  4. Your Federal Work Study offer will show up under the “Work” heading.

What if I am Eligible But Do Not Have A Federal-Work-Study Offer?

If you are eligible for Federal Work-Study, but FWS was not included in your financial aid offer (perhaps because you did your FAFSA late, after funds were distributed), you'll need to contact the Financial Aid Office to see if additional funds may be available.

You will need to have FWS funds in place in order to have a Federal Work-Study job at IUP.

Work Hours and Payment

  • You can work up to 25 hours/week when classes are in session. (Summer hours can be higher in some situations.)

  • If you're an international student, you're not eligible for FWS positions. If you're using University Employment or State Work-Study funds, you are not permitted to work more than 20 hours/week while attending classes.

  • Wages from FWS jobs are paid biweekly directly to students.

  • Once you've found and landed a job, you'll need to complete some brief paperwork with the Student Employment Program and IUP Payroll Office before you start. See further details about securing an on-campus student employee position.

Work in the Community Through Federal Work-Study

If you are eligible for Federal Work-Study, the Community Service Learning Federal Work-Study Program gives you the chance to gain practical work experience related to your major in the community.

The program, operated through the Office of Service Learning, gives students who have Federal Work-Study and remain in good academic standing the chance to earn work-study funds in the community at human service agencies.

If you choose this, the Office of Service Learning helps to place you in an agency and stays in direct contact with you throughout your employment to make sure it is a high-quality experience for you.

For additional details about the CSLFWS program, contact the Office of Service Learning at service-learning@iup.edu or call 724-357-2598.

Graduate Student Employment

You can also find employment in the ways available to undergraduate students, such as through Federal Work-Study jobs (if you are eligible).

If you are a graduate student and are interested in a graduate assistantship, please review the information provided to you. (Assistantships are not part of Federal Work-Study.)

State Work-Study Is Not Based on Financial Need

You do not have to demonstrate financial need for State Work-Study jobs.

State Work-Study is a Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency-sponsored program that provides students with work experience while helping them with the costs of post-secondary education. It is made possible from funds available through the General Assembly and with the cooperation of Pennsylvania post-secondary institutions and employers.

Through the state work-study website, you can determine your eligibility for this program and search a listing of job opportunities. For additional information, please contact the IUP Office of Financial Aid at 724-357-2218.