Student walking past the campus library

Grant funding is money for higher education you do not need to pay back. We'll explain the types of grants available and help you understand if you might be eligible.

Grants are considered need-based aid. Need is calculated by taking your total cost of attendance (budget figure) minus your EFC (Expected Family Contribution determined by the FAFSA). COA-EFC=Need.

First, File Your FAFSA

Apply for federal grants, loans, and work-study aid with one form.

Submit the FAFSA online

IUP's School Code is 003277.

Federal Pell Grant

The Federal Pell Grant is the foundation for all other financial aid. Year-round Pell allows a student to be offered up to 150 percent of the annual Pell award amount if the student is taking summer classes, too. The Federal Pell Grant is offered a maximum of 12 full-time semesters (or the equivalent).

To apply: File the FAFSA.

To be eligible, you must:

  • Be pursuing your first undergraduate degree.

  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress.

  • Be enrolled for courses at IUP on the 15th day of the term (Pell census date): Enrollment level on the 15th day of the term determines the final Pell award amount. (Make sure you attend your classes from day one and do not drop below the required number of credits.)

  • Have not reached the 600 percent Pell Lifetime Eligibility Limit.

  • Be enrolled for at least 12 undergraduate credits for a full-time grant. Adjustments are made if you are less than full-time.

Pennsylvania State Grant

Pennsylvania State Grants administered by the Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency (PHEAA) are provided by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania to residents. There is a lifetime limit of eight full-time semesters for PA State Grants.

To apply: File the FAFSA by May 1. It will then direct you to applying for the PA State Grant.

To be eligible, you must:

  • Be pursuing your first undergraduate degree

  • Be enrolled for at least six credits (no more than three remedial credits) for a part-time grant and at least 12 credits (no more than six remedial credits) for a full-time grant

  • Maintain PA State Grant Academic Progress - Earn 12 new, non-remedial credits (a repeat of a course in which the student previously earned a grade of “D” or better will not be considered new) for each term a PA State Grant was received in the prior academic year in question.

  • Take no more than 50 percent of your credits in the form of online courses to avoid a reduction in aid - Students taking more than 50 percent of their credits online in a semester may be eligible for a reduced amount.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant

The FSEOG is funded by the federal government and administered by IUP. Students may receive approximately $100 to $1,500 per year.

To apply: File the FAFSA

We encourage students to complete their FAFSA as soon as possible for maximum consideration for all available aid sources.

You will be considered if you:

  • Are pursuing your first undergraduate degree.

  • Demonstrate exceptional financial need, with priority given to Federal Pell Grant recipients.

  • Are enrolled at least half-time (six credits per term).

Other State Grants

If you're not a Pennsylvania resident, check with your state Higher Education Assistance Agency to see if state aid is available for you to attend IUP.