What Transfer Students Entering IUP Need to Know About Financial Aid

Welcome to IUP! When you transfer to IUP, you may need to complete all or some of the steps listed below for your financial aid. If you have questions, just ask. We want to make your transition to IUP as smooth as possible for you.

Add IUP to Your FAFSA

All students applying for federal financial aid must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If you haven't filed a FAFSA yet, it is an important first step for financial aid.

If you have already completed the FAFSA, and IUP is not listed as a school choice on the original application, you can add IUP to your FAFSA.

  1. Log in to the FAFSA website.

  2. Select Make Corrections to a Processed FAFSA (you will need your FSA ID).

  3. Add IUP to the list of schools. IUP's school code is 003277.

  4. Save your corrections.

You can also call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-433-3243 and request that your FAFSA information be transmitted electronically to IUP. You will need your Data Release Number (DRN) for this transaction, which is on each page of your Student Aid Report (SAR). If you do not have your SAR, you can request a duplicate SAR by calling 1-800-433-3243 and it will be sent to your home address. Do not file a second FAFSA!

Federal Direct Loans

  • Transfer credits must be evaluated by the IUP Transfer Credit Evaluation Office and reported to the Financial Aid Office before the loan can be certified.

  • Make sure you complete all requirements for your loan, so the funds can be disbursed to you. You can check your MyIUP account for any incomplete financial aid requirements, such as signing your master promissory note, entrance counseling, and verification, which may impact your eligibility.

  • Learn more about the types of loans and how loans work.

Pennsylvania State Grant

  • Pennsylvania residents can apply for a PA State Grant by completing the FAFSA.

  • If you applied for the state grant using another school and code, or if you are a January transfer to IUP, inform your state grant agency of this change. Pennsylvania residents can log in to their account and make the change or contact PHEAA at 1-800-692-7392.

  • If you are a non-Pennsylvania resident, contact your state grant agency for state grant information.

When and How Your Offer Will Arrive

Watch for a letter once your final credit evaluations are complete. You can get started now learning about the types of financial aid available, so you'll better understand your offer.

You can also view your financial aid offer in your MyIUP account:

In the current MyIUP portal, my.iup.edu:

  1. Sign in to MyIUP and log in with your username and network password.
  2. Select the Finances page and go to the Financial Aid section.
  3. Select Get personalized financial aid information.

In the new MyIUP portal:

  1. Log in to MyIUP. Go to Discover and search for "finances."
  2. On the Tuition, Aid, and Finances card, select Financial Aid Information.

Other Important Information

Unusual Enrollment History

The US Department of Education selects students who have attended multiple institutions within a certain timeframe to be reviewed for ‘Unusual Enrollment History' purposes. The Office of Financial Aid conducts a review of students who have been flagged by USDE to ensure that no abuse of federal aid has occurred. Students selected for this federal process must submit written documentation (i.e. transcripts, etc.) of credits earned at their previous schools. There is also an IUP-specific form which must be completed and returned to the aid office. Selected students will be contacted by the Office of Financial Aid staff.

Student Loan Deferment Forms

If a deferment form must be completed to maintain your in-school status, please contact the Registrar's Office.

We're sorry to see you go. If your decision isn't final yet, consider talking with your advisor, the department chair, or a favorite professor or mentor about options that might make staying at IUP work out for you. If your decision is final, here are some steps you should take for your financial aid.

  1. Notify the IUP Financial Aid Office (financial-aid@iup.edu)that you will not be attending. Please include your Banner ID number and what term you are referring to.
  2. Undergraduate students should reference the Total University Withdrawal page and refer to the Total University Withdrawal Checklist.
  3. Graduate students should reference the Total University Withdrawal Policy in the University Policies section of the Graduate Catalog.
  4. You will need to contact the institution that you are transferring to for details on your next steps with them.