To help you make the most of financial aid, we've sorted out some different types of aid and explained them with the links below. You can also view the video above to get an overview.

Receiving financial aid is typically linked to taking a required number of credits, so withdrawing from classes could impact your aid. Your aid can also be dependent on maintaining your grades at a required level.

First, File Your FAFSA

The FAFSA is the form the government uses to determine how much federal and state (if you're a Pennsylvania resident) grant, loan, or work study money you're eligible for.

Submit your FAFSA as early as October 1 of the year before you begin college. Pennsylvania residents should file before May 1 to be considered for the PA state grant offered through PHEAA.

Missed the May 1 deadline? Submit the FAFSA as soon as possible. You could still be eligible for some types of aid.

Submit the FAFSA Online

IUP's School Code is 003277.


Grant funding is money for higher education that you do not need to pay back. We'll explain the types of grants available and help you understand if you might be eligible.


Scholarships are awarded based on various factors—academics, family income, athletic ability, your major, musical talent, and more. They do not need to be paid back. IUP has scholarships you can apply for with one easy application. We'll also point you toward other places you can look for scholarships.


Loans come in many forms. Though they all must be repaid, the way you repay them can vary. We'll help you understand the main types and the key differences to help you manage your investment in your education wisely.

Federal Work-Study

Student jobs that are paid through financial aid are often referred to as work-study positions. Most are located in campus offices. We'll explain how you can find a work-study job if you are eligible for this kind of financial aid. To find a list of work study positions available, please visit Hire-A-Hawk.

Other Types of Aid

There are special considerations for financial aid in certain cases. Check below if these areas fit your situation.

Summer and Winter Financial Aid

Students taking courses for summer and winter sessions may potentially be eligible for additional aid.

Childcare Access Means Parents In School (CCAMPIS) Program

This program supports eligible IUP students who are parents by helping them with the cost of childcare. Student-parents in the program also have support from mentors and attend workshops on parenting topics. For more information on this program, contact Kalani Palmer by email at or by calling 724-357-2336.

Fostering Independence - Chafee

For more information about this program and what is available, please visit the Fostering Independence Tuition Waiver Program website. For more information on IUP Connections, which also offers Foster Care Support, please visit the website.

If you have questions about financial aid, you can email us at or call us at 724-357-2218. We're here to help!