The Pass/Fail policy gives undergraduate students the option of taking a course for credit but without quality points.

A student may take courses on a pass-fail basis up to a total of 15 credits throughout their university career. The student is limited to one pass-fail course in any given semester during the sophomore, junior, and senior years. All courses in the student's Liberal Studies program and courses that meet major and minor requirements are excluded from this prerogative. When scheduled, such a course shall be included in the student's normal course load for the semester.

The student must declare their intent to choose pass-fail in a specific course no later than ten weeks after the beginning of the semester or the equivalent time span in a summer session. Once declared, this pass-fail may not be revoked. Instructors will not be notified of the identity of pass-fail students in their courses. The grade given by the instructor will be translated to a “P” or "F” during grade processing.

A student shall be given academic credit without quality points for a course taken pass-fail upon receiving a passing mark in the course. The credits successfully completed under pass-fail (“passed") within the overall 15-credit limitation shall be recorded as counting toward the total credits earned for graduation but not toward the credit-attempted data used in calculating the cumulative grade point average. However, if a student fails a pass-fail course, he/she will receive an “F” or "N” (non-participation failure) grade and the corresponding grade point average. An “F" or “N” earned under the pass-fail option may be repeated only under the graded option. (Currently, one course is an exception to the Pass/Fail Course Policy. NMDT 434 is offered only on a pass-fail basis.)

The summer sessions, collectively or in any combination, shall be considered a unit similar to a spring or fall semester for pass/fail purposes. Hence, a student is permitted to take only one course during the summer on a pass/fail basis.


All Pass/Fail forms must have an advisor signature and be completed correctly, or they will not be processed.

The Pass/Fail policy can be found in the Undergraduate Catalog under Academic Policies.