Authorization of Online Programs and Field Experiences Outside of Pennsylvania

US states regulate education within their borders, including online programs from other states and portions of courses conducted face-to-face in their state. These laws may affect online programs as well as internships and other activities conducted outside Pennsylvania.

IUP is now operating under the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA). We can accept students from other SARA states and send students for field experiences in SARA states.

Field experience coordinators should consult the wiki above to learn more.

Current Students: Why This Is Important to You

Internships, Clinicals, and OtherField Experiences

All IUP students, regardless of residency, should check our interactive stateauthorization map when planning an internship or otherfield experience outside Pennsylvania.

Current IUP students who wish to change majors to an online program that they will complete while located outside Pennsylvania should check our state authorization map.

Prospective Students: Why This Is Important to You

If you are a legal resident of a state other than Pennsylvania and would like to participate in an IUP online program while you are outside Pennsylvania:

  • Please check our interactive state authorization map to ensure authorization has been granted where you will be located.

IUP Definition of Student Location

The difference between "location" and "domicile" is important at Indiana University of Pennsylvania for complying with several state and federal regulations. "Location" is where a student is physically situated while participating in university activities. "Domicile" applies to the state where a student is a permanent resident.

At IUP, student location is initially determined by the information provided by the student at the time of enrollment. Student location can be changed through numerous university procedures/processes:

  • Change of address request submitted by the student to the Registrar's Office
  • Information update on the home tab of MyIUP
  • Departmental field experience application from the students' academic program
  • Responding to the request for location information sent each semester to students identified as being distance education students, which asks them to voluntarily self-report their location.

Professional Licensure/Certification

Students applying to IUP programs that lead to licensure and/or certification in states other than Pennsylvania must be aware of the various state professional licensure/certification requirements. Please check licensure requirements by state at CareerOneStop, or usethese discipline-specificCareerOneStoplinks:

Complaint Process for Online Students

Students who wish to file a complaint should first seek to resolve the issue internally at IUP.Prospective students should contact either Undergraduate Admissions ( or Graduate Admissions ( If you are a currently enrolled student, please contact your department chairperson. If your complaint is not related to a grade appeal or student conduct violation, and if it cannot be resolved internally, you may then contact the Pennsylvania Department of Education to file a complaint.