Housing I-Card FAQ

Why does the I-Card reader on my suite door beep and/or not let me in?

  • If it beeps and still lets you in the room, the battery is low. If the battery in your reader is low, report it to your hall office. They'll contact maintenance or the Housing office to have the battery changed.
  • If it beeps and flashes red-green and doesn't let you into your room, it means the battery is too low to open the lock. Report this to your hall office. They'll contact maintenance or the Housing office to have the battery changed.
  • If the lock flashes green and beeps, then your card is not programmed for the door and is possibly programmed for another door. Staff at your hall office or the Housing office in Ruddock can help you get your card encoded for your room.
  • If the reader momentarily flashes red when you swipe your card and doesn't let you in, this means that the card is not encoded at all. Your hall office staff can encode the card for you.

I live in the Suites. How does my card give me access to my suite?

You can have your card encoded for your room at your hall office. If the office is closed or has problems with your card, you can get this done at the Housing Office located in Ruddock Hall. If your type of room has separate bedrooms, your hall office will also issue you a key.

How does my card give me access to the front doors and wings of my building?

When you get your card from the I-Card office, it comes encoded with an ABA number (the 16-digit number on the bottom of the card), and this number is what gives you building access. You should have access to the building you're assigned to and maybe another building in your same community (for instance, if you live in Putt Hall or Delanay Hall, you will have access to both of these buildings). If your card does not give you access to your building when you get here, contact a Housing employee for help.

What do I have to do if I get a new I-Card?

If you live in the Suites, you need to get your new I-Card encoded for your room. You can do this at your hall office. If you turned in a damaged card for a new one, the new card will immediately work on the hallway doors. However, if you lost your I-Card, it may take up to an hour for the new card to work as the new number is downloaded to the system. If your new I-Card does not work on the hallway doors after an hour, report it to your hall office. They can call the Housing Resnet office to have your new number programmed.

Why can't my hall office staff encode my card?

If they can't encode your card for your room, it's likely that your card is damaged. Normal wear and tear on a magnetic stripe wears the magnetic strip eventually to the point that it won't hold information. At that point, you need to get a new I-Card from the I-Card Office in Clark Hall.

How do I get into my room if I lock my card inside my suite?

Your hall office or the Housing Office can issue a temporary card encoded for your room so you can get in and get your card. This card must be returned immediately after retrieving your I-Card. There is a lockout charge for this service.

What about laundry, vending, and printing?

You can pay for laundry, vending, and printing through a Crimson Cash account on your card. This is distinct from Dining's Flex Dollars. For more information about I-Cards and your Crimson Cash account, please see the university's I-Card page.

What about Dining?

You will use your I-Card at the dining halls to access your meal plans and flex dollars.