Policies: Do I Qualify?

Do you fit one of these criteria? Then you need to get in contact with us.

  • Veterans eligible for the G.I. Bill should report to the Military and Veterans Resource Center in Pratt Hall 101 and 102 prior to registration for a semester or for summer sessions to be entered or continued in training for Veterans Administration benefits purposes.
  • Children of a deceased or disabled veteran whose death or injury was due to service-related causes may be eligible for educational assistance from the federal government under Public Law 634 (Dependents Educational Assistance Act). Immediately upon acceptance to IUP, men and women who qualify for such assistance should contact the veterans counselor to process their application for payment.
  • A prospective veteran or reservist student should contact the Military and Veterans Resource Center or call 724-357-3009. Submit the veteran's certificate for Program of Education to the Military and Veterans Resource Center.
  • Any undergraduate receiving benefits from the Veterans Administration must carry at least twelve credit hours during a regular semester in order to be considered a full-time student by the Veterans Administration. The minimum full-time requirement for a graduate student is 9 credit hours.
  • No veteran receiving G.I. benefits may change curriculum without clearance from the veterans counselor.

IUP Military and Veterans Resource Center Eligibility Requirements

Chapter 30 (Active Duty) and 32 (Post-Vietnam Era Assistance Program)

  • Contributed $100 for 12 months (automatic monthly pay deductions) toward the G.I. Bill program while on active duty. To have this done, veterans must have elected to participate, usually at the time of signing their contract.
  • Completed initial term of enlistment. However, some exceptions do apply regarding conditions of separation or discharge. In either case, veterans must have at least received an honorable discharge for their initial term.

Here are some of the conditions of release which might result in a reduction of the required length of active duty:

  • Convenience of the government
  • Disability
  • Hardship
  • A medical condition existing before service
  • A medical condition that is not a disability or due to your misconduct but that interfered with your performance of duty
  • Certain reductions in force (programs such as VSI or SSB)

Note: Under certain conditions, veterans may be entitled to receive benefits for a period of time that corresponds with a reduced active duty commitment, which usually results in the case of involuntary separation. For example, if a veteran was released involuntarily during Basic Training (usually for medical reasons) after only a few months of service, the veteran may be entitled to receive benefits for a period which corresponds with those few months of having contributed to the G.I. Bill program.

Chapter 106 (Selected Reserves and National Guard)

  • Completion of Basic Training and AIT
  • Fulfill the minimum obligations established by Drilling Unit. Each unit is responsible for determining if respective service members meet the minimum eligibility standards (i.e., attendance policy and fitness standards). It is also the unit's responsibility to inform DOC (Department of Defense) of service members' eligibility status.

Chapter 35 (Survivors and Dependents of Veterans Educational Assistance Program)

  • Bring either document to the Veterans Affairs Office at 126 Clark Hall to apply for benefits.

Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation for Disabled Veterans)

  • A service-connected disability rated by the Department of Veterans Affairs at 20 percent or more, and
  • Discharge from active duty was not dishonorable, and
  • Veteran has an employment handicap.