For more specific information, please refer to the APSCUF Collective Bargaining Agreement, Article 21, Fringe Benefits; Section F, Personal Leave Days.

Why would I use Personal Leave?

Personal leave can be requested and used for an unscheduled absence of a non-medical emergency nature.

Personal leave is to be used for absences due to reasons not covered by other leave options, such as sick/bereavement, civil, or military.

How is Personal Leave earned/accrued?

Contract Full-time/Part-time Permanent/Temporary Days Earned
per calendar year
9-month FT Permanent 2 1 day for 1/1-6/30
1 day for 7/1-12/31
9-month FT Temporary 2 1 day for 1/1-6/30
1 day for 7/1-12/31
12-month FT Permanent 5 1 day each 2.4 months (1/5 calendar year)
12-month FT Temporary 5 1 day each 2.4 months (1/5 calendar year)
PT Permanent Based on AY workload Prorated
PT Temporary 0 n/a

How do I request and use Personal Leave?

Permanent full-time faculty members requests should be submitted through Employee Self-Service (ESS).

Temporary faculty members requests should be submitted via email to

Personal leave requests...

  • should be made in advance if at all possible.
  • can be made for time that is expected to be earned in the calendar year.

What happens if I don't use all my personal leave in the same calendar year?

Personal leave does not carry over from year to year.

Unused personal leave from the prior leave calendar year that is not used within the first seven pay periods of the new leave calendar year will be lost.

What happens to my unused personal leave if I end employment or retire?

  • Permanent faculty members who retire, resign, or otherwise separate from the university are entitled to receive a payout of unused personal leave.
  • The payout is based on the number of days available on the last day of employment and the faculty member's salary at the time of separation.