Pet-Friendly Housing Community

Feel free to email us with any questions at

What are the perks?
  • Students are not required to choose between on-campus housing and a pet-friendly environment.
  • Living with a long-term pet makes the residence hall environment feel more like home.
  • The community will be conveniently located on the ground floor of Putt Hall.
What type of pet can I bring?
  • Generally, most dogs, cats, and birds will be welcome in the Pet-Friendly Community.
  • Each resident is limited to only one pet.
  • Only long-term pets will be permitted in this phase of the Pet-Friendly Community. IUP defines long-term ownership as at least two months prior to moving into the community. Documentation is required.
  • Any animals, such as snakes or mice, that can fit under doors or through gaps smaller than two inches are not permitted on campus.
  • Fish are permitted in all of our residential facilities as long as the tank is 10 gallons or under.
I have been approved to have an Emotional Support Animal (ESA). Do I need to live in the Pet-Friendly Community?

No. Approved ESAs and service animals are considered an accommodation and are permitted in each of our residential communities. While you are welcome to be a part of the Pet-Friendly Community, you are not required to live there.

Is there any special paperwork that I need to fill out?

Yes. You will be required to complete a Pet-Friendly Housing Application and a Statement of Understanding prior to bringing your pet onto campus. The statement includes the policies for having a pet on campus, your responsibilities as a pet owner, and pet care and documentation requirements.

What about my roommate?

Your roommate does not have to have a pet to live with you in the Pet-Friendly Community. Roommates without pets will also be required to sign a statement of understanding concerning their role in living in a pet-friendly environment. Individuals without pets will not be required to live with a roommate who has a pet.

How do I sign up for the Pet-Friendly Community?

When signing up for housing through your MyIUP portal, select a space on the ground floor of Putt Hall. Shortly after you complete your Housing License Agreement, you will be able to complete the Pet-Friendly Housing Application and the Statement of Understanding.