IUP Policy for Health Insurance for International Students

Policy changes effective as of fall 2008.

Indiana University of Pennsylvania requires all J and F visa holders to have the Medical Evacuation and Repatriation Insurance coverage sponsored by the university. IUP will provide students who are F and J visa holders with medical evacuation and repatriation insurance, billing each student for the insurance premium at the beginning of each academic semester. No waivers are permitted.

As defined by federal regulations, students who possess J visas also must carry a minimum level of health insurance coverage for themselves and any spouse and any dependent child/children. Students may select any health insurance policy that is in compliance with the following federal requirements. Each semester of enrollment, students on a J visa must provide proof of insurance with at least $100,000 per accident or illness major medical coverage, repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000, and expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the J1 visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $50,000. The deductible may not exceed $500 per accident or illness. Insurance plans must be purchased from a company that has a U.S. telephone number, and the company must be licensed to sell insurance in the United States.

Students on a J visa must maintain valid medical insurance for the entire period of enrollment at IUP. If, at any time, the university becomes aware that the student is not covered by an insurance plan that is in compliance with the federal regulations, the student will be contacted by the Office of International Education, and his or her immigration status will be in jeopardy.

Students who have commercial health insurance may also be required to pay the university health and wellness fee and any related health charges when seeking care on campus.

(See fee page for Health Service charges.)