For more specific information, please refer to Management Directive 505.7 (Amended), Personnel Rules, page 73, Personal Leave and Management Directive 530.7 (Amended), Absence Manual.

Why would I use Personal Leave?

Personal leave can be requested and used for an unscheduled absence of a non-medical emergency nature.

Personal leave is to be used for absences due to reasons not covered by other leave options, such as sick/bereavement, civil, or military.

How is Personal Leave earned/accrued?

Management employees earn six (6) paid personal leave days per year at a rate of one (1) day every two (2) months.

  • Employees must be permanent. Temporary employees are not eligible to earn personal leave regardless of whether or not they have met the 750-hour threshold for accruing annual and sick leave.
  • Employees must have 20 days or 150 hours (37.50-hour work week) in an active pay status for each two-month period of time that they are entitled to earn the leave.

How do I request and use Personal Leave?

Requests are made through Employee Self-Service (ESS) using the reason, Personal Leave.

Personal Leave requests...

  • should be made in advance, if possible.
  • can be made to time that is expected to be earned in the leave calendar year.

What happens if I don't use all my personal leave in the same calendar year?

Unused personal leave from the prior leave calendar year is carried over into the first six (6) pay periods of the new leave calendar year. Personal leave carryover not used within this additional designated time frame will be lost.

Any excess personal leave will be displayed on pay statements and on Employee Self Service (ESS) as "Personal Leave Carryover." These "carryover" hours will be exhausted first.

What happens to my unused personal leave if I end employment or retire?

Employees who retire, resign, or otherwise separate from the university are entitled to receive a payout of unused personal leave.

  • The payout is based on the number of days available on the last day of employment and the faculty member's salary at the time of separation.