For more specific information, please refer to the AFSCME Collective Bargaining Agreement, Article 13: Vacations or the SEIU Collective Bargaining Unit, Article 13: Vacations.

Why would I use Annual Leave?

Annual leave is to be used for absences for vacation purposes. Annual leave shall be granted subject to management's responsibility to maintain efficient operations. The leave calendar year is defined as the first full pay period in January through the pay period that includes December 31.

How is annual leave earned/accrued?

Hire Date Years of Service (YOS) Rate Hours per pay Days per year Hours per year
After 7/1/2011 First 3 YOS 4.24% 3.18


After 7/1/2011 3-15 YOS 7.32% 5.49 19 142.50
After 7/1/2011 Over 15 YOS 9.24% 6.92 24 180
On or Before 7/1/2011 Over 25 YOS 11.55% 8.65 30 225

Effective with the beginning of the 2017 leave calendar year, employees who have over one year of service from their most recent date of hire and who use no sick leave (other than sick leave used for bereavement leave) in an entire one-half leave calendar year shall earn an additional 3.75 or 4.0 hours of annual leave.

How do I request and use annual leave?

Requests are made through Employee Self-Service (ESS).

  • Employees must have at least 30 calendar days of service before annual leave can be used.
  • Permanent employees with less than one year of service may, at the Employer's discretion, anticipate up to one (1) day of annual leave before it is earned.
  • Employees with more than one year of service may request to use annual leave that is expected to be earned in the current leave calendar year.

What happens if I don't use all of my annual leave in the same calendar year?

  • Unused annual leave may be carried over from one leave calendar year to the next up to a maximum of 45 days.
  • Annual leave in excess of 45 days that is not used within the first seven pay periods of the new leave calendar year is converted to sick leave up to the maximum sick leave accumulation.

What happens to my unused annual leave if I end employment or retire?

Employees who retire, resign, or otherwise separate from the university are entitled to receive a payout of unused annual leave. The payout is based on the number of days available on the last day of employment and the employee's salary at the time of separation.