Not sure which mental health care option is the right fit for you?

All students are welcome to contact the Counseling Center at 724-357-2621 for help connecting with mental health support and deciding which services are the right fit!

How do I schedule an appointment?

The Counseling Center is available by phone (724-357-2621) or email ( Monday–Friday, 8:00 a.m.–4:30 p.m. In your email, write, “Hi, I'm interested in scheduling an appointment.” You will receive a response from the department secretary with scheduling options.

Who is eligible to receive services at the Counseling Center?

Students who pay the wellness fee as part of their tuition are eligible for Counseling Center services at no additional charge. We see students for individual, relationship, and group therapy as well as students in need of case management.

Where is the Counseling Center located?

The Counseling Center is located in the Center for Health and Well-Being, on the ground floor in the Suites on Maple East, 901 Maple Street. You can find us by entering the building through the corner entrance across from Folger Hall and the Crimson Event Center. Upon entering the building, turn right and proceed through the double doors. The Counseling Center is down the hall, room G31.

To find directions to the IUP campus, please visit IUP Map and Directions.

How do I get to speak with someone at the Counseling Center?

The Counseling Center has walk-in hours for initial contacts, questions, and concerns on Monday through Friday from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m. You can come to the Counseling Center at the Suites on Maple East, Room G31 (CHWB building) at that time. You may have to wait to see a counselor. If you would prefer to set up an appointment at a specific time, it is best to call us at 724-357-2621 and ask about an initial appointment time, or you can stop by Monday–Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and set up an appointment through our front desk.

How much does counseling cost?

There are no fees for students who have paid tuition and the university's Wellness Fee. 

What about my privacy?

The faculty and staff are highly concerned about your privacy. In addition, federal law, laws of the Commonwealth, professional standards, and ethical guidelines all establish that your privacy is afforded the most serious protection.

As a result, the fact of your making contact with the Center, in addition to whatever you tell us, is kept confidential by our personnel. Records pertaining to your work are maintained in locked equipment in secure facilities. There are some exceptions to this protection. You may provide us with written permission to release specific information to specific people or to discuss your concerns with persons you designate. Finally, we are obliged to notify relevant individuals if you are at risk to harm yourself or someone else, or if there is direct evidence of ongoing harm to a child.

What kinds of things do people talk about in the Center?

The Counseling Center works with students who are dealing with a wide variety of personal, social, educational/vocational, and family concerns. Anxiety, depression, and grief are often reported as a result of problems in these areas. Coming to the Center does not mean someone is crazy. We see 400 to 500 students for counseling and take 300 to 400 other calls about other student-related concerns in a typical academic year.

Who provides the service?

Six faculty members who are licensed psychologists provide services directly, with the assistance of eight to 10 graduate student trainees. Trainees receive direct, individual, and group supervision every week and are experienced clinicians. The Center has limited access for student clients to see a psychiatrist.

What if I want to see a therapist in the community?

You are welcome to see a therapist in the community; sites like Psychology Today are a good resource to aid your search. If you need assistance setting up insurance or finding a provider in the community, you can schedule an appointment with our case manager by calling the Counseling Center at 724-357-2621.

What do I do if I feel like I'm in crisis?

If you feel like you are in crisis and cannot wait for the next available appointment, please call 724-357-2621 or attend our walk-in hours, Monday through Friday 1:00–3:00 p.m.

If you are an IUP faculty member or other member of the IUP community and you have urgent questions about a student who needs immediate attention, please call 724-357-2621, and our faculty psychologists and staff members will help you with these issues. If there is an emergency after hours, please contact campus police at 724-357-2141.

Additionally, the Counseling Center houses the Haven Project counselor for sexual assault and abuse issues. If a student wishes services for these concerns, please refer them to Jessica Miller at the Counseling Center. We offer immediate services for these students during our normal working hours. Again, the number is 724-357-2621.

If I am dissatisfied with my therapist, can I request a change?

Yes, you may. First, we strongly encourage you to discuss your concerns with your current therapist. Typically, it is helpful for the therapist to know what is working and not working for you and to discuss how therapy can better serve you. If you are unable to speak with your therapist, or afterward you would still like to change providers, please call the Counseling Center at 724-357-2621 and the office staff will assist you with the next steps.

Does the Counseling Center write Emotional Support Animal (ESA) letters?

The Center for Health and Wellbeing understands that an emotional support animal can be an important source of support for many students. Nonetheless, the providers at the Center for Health and Wellbeing (including the Counseling Center) do not prescribe or provide letters supporting the use of ESAs.