Apply online today! This page explains requirements for international applicants. For general information about IUP and programs of study visit Undergraduate Admissions

$25 Application Fee

Fees are payable online or by sending a cashier's check in US dollars.

Proof of English Language Proficiency

International students applying for an undergraduate degree program at IUP must demonstrate English proficiency. Residents of some countries do not need to submit scores. Those from countries not waived can satisfy the English language proficiency requirement by one of the following methods:

Testing Options

Minimum Score for
Undergraduate Admission

Exam Website and Information
The institutional code to send TOEFL
results to IUP is 2652
TOEFL ITP 500 Offered through the
American Language Institute
Duolingo 90 Duolingo English Test
GTEC 1100 Outline of GTEC CBT
Cambridge 160 Cambridge English Qualifications 
Pearson 46 Pearson PTE 

ENGL 101 College Credit

International students who have earned a C grade or higher in an English composition course equivalent to IUP's ENGL 101 at another US college or university and have completed a total of 12 college-level credits will be eligible to waive the TOEFL/IELTS requirement.

International Students Attending US High School

International students who have attended high school in the Unites States may submit SAT/ACT scores and/or English AP scores for consideration for English proficiency. TOEFL/IELTS scores may be requested at the discretion of the Admissions committee.

ALI Bridge Program/Conditional Admission

International undergraduate students may apply or may be referred for conditional admission through the American Language Institute intensive English program. Students who successfully complete nine credits through the Bridge program are eligible to waive the TOEFL/IELTS requirement.

International Student Financial Statement

All international undergraduate applicants are required to demonstrate that they have funding for at minimum the first year of attendance at IUP before an immigration document can be created. View our Undergraduate Program Cost Estimate below to view costs for two semesters of study at IUP (tuition, fees, room and board) and possible scholarships international students are eligible for. If a sponsor is someone other than a parent, a bank statement or letter from the sponsor is required. Bank statements and letters cannot be more than one year old.

Official Transcripts

Official transcripts from a high school or other secondary school in English are required for all students.

If you wish to transfer credits from another college or university, make sure to indicate that you are a transfer student on the application and forward your college transcripts, also. You will receive an evaluation of your credits during Orientation. Visit the Online Transfer Credit Equivalency System to see if you can preview how your credits will transfer.

While we strongly encourage all students to submit transcripts using International Education EvaluationsWorld Education Services or another member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services foreign educational credential evaluation services, students from the following countries are required to submit their transcripts through this service: 

  • Cameroon
  • Gambia
  • Ghana
  • Haiti
  • Kenya
  • Liberia
  • Nigeria
  • Togo

Before you apply, please note that some services do charge a fee in order to process your information, and we recommend that you begin the process as soon as possible to ensure that your materials can be received, evaluated, and forwarded to IUP in a timely manner. IUP cannot forward any transcripts to these providers, so please make sure you follow the appropriate protocol in order to expedite your application in the most cost-efficient way possible.

Transcripts from students who are not required to use a foreign educational credential evaluation service and are sent to IUP directly must have the official seal of the institution.

Passport Copy

Please upload or submit a copy of your passport. If you have dependents (spouse and/or children), please include copies of their passport(s) as well.

Honors College

Get more information about the Cook Honors College at IUP.

Culinary Arts Admissions

Here's information about admissions and student services especially for culinary students.

Transfer Students

Everything you need to know about transferring to IUP.

Frequently Asked Questions

See what international students often ask-and find answers.

Provisional Admission

Find out what to do if you meet all admission requirements except for the TOEFL score.

Undergraduate Admissions

See what else IUP has to offer.

Admitted Students

Find out what to do once you're accepted to IUP.

You Are Welcome Here