Help Athletes Stay in the Game and Excel
You’re passionate about working in the world of sports and helping athletes reach their potential. Optimizing human performance is a science. You'll need to be an expert in the dynamics of physical activity and the psychology behind high achievement. IUP’s Sport Studies MS will get you there.
Get a Competitive Edge with a Next-Level Education
The master in sport studies program will prepare you for numerous opportunities in the rapidly growing sports industry, including coaching and sport psychology. The program is flexible, so you can incorporate courses from multiple departments and design a curriculum that focuses on your specific academic and career goals.
Imagine Your Future
Do you see yourself helping athletes in a sports clinic? Or maybe you're looking for an on-the-field leadership role.
With a sport studies degree, you’ll gain knowledge and skills that will open you to a wide variety of positions, including:
- College and athletic departments
- Commercial sports facilities
- Community recreational organizations
- Corporate health and wellness programs
- Hospitality fitness facilities
Classes and Requirements
You can customize your sport science program. You have a choice of three sport science tracks that can teach you what you want to know. And you have the option to select a 36-credit thesis curriculum or 36-credit non-thesis curriculum.
What You'll Study
Your sport studies classes focus on:
- Coaching management
- Physical activity and aging
- Sport leadership
- Sport psychology
Take on an internship. An internship gives you the opportunity to work with sports professionals in your area and gain real-world experience.
To be admitted into the Sport Studies MS program, you must have the following:
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university.
- Minimum undergraduate grade point average of 2.4 (on a 4.0 scale) if the bachelor’s degree was earned more than five years ago.
- Minimum undergraduate grade point average of 2.6 (on a 4.0 scale) if the bachelor’s degree was earned five or fewer years ago.
For International Students
IUP’s Department of Kinesiology, Health, and Sport Science welcomes applications for admission from students outside of the US.
International applicants are required to submit a minimum TOEFL score of 540 (paper-based), 207 (computer-based), and 76 (internet-based). GRE and GMAT scores are not required for admission into IUP’s sport science master’s program.
International graduate condition admission is also available.
Full Academic Catalog Listing
The course catalog is the official reference for all our degree and course offerings. Check it out for a full listing of the classes available and requirements for this degree.
Program Innovation, Real-World Success Elevate Each Class
The Kinesiology, Health, and Sport Science faculty members bring decades of real-world experience to the classroom. Prior to arriving at IUP, they coached athletic teams, operated fitness training centers, and learned first-hand the rigors of working with hospitals to rehabilitate injured athletes and cardiac patients.
Their excellent advisory assistance will help you choose a lasting career in coaching, fitness center management, corporate wellness, or other sports-industry sectors.
- Our professors continue to expand their scholarly achievements by presenting research at regional and national events.
- IUP professors have established innovative programs, such as the home school program and Special Needs Activity Program, which give you opportunities that enhance your résumé.
- Guidance is a key ingredient our professors bring to your graduate program, helping you make the right choices so you can excel as you complete your degree.
- Active participation in academic and professional circles allows our professors to build a network of potential internship sponsors.
IUP graduate assistant Whitney Jones talks about her GA experience with the James G. Mills Fitness Center, located on the IUP campus. She explains how she feels more prepared for her future through her GA experience. See her and other students' video testimonials.