Master's Program in Educational Psychology: FAQ

How long does it take to obtain a master's degree in Educational Psychology at IUP?

A full-time student can obtain a master's degree in a full calendar yearthat is, Fall and Spring semesters and one Summer consisting of two sessions.

Am I required to have a BA degree in a related subject area such as psychology or education to be admitted into the master's program?

No, a variety of undergraduate majors are represented among students in the master's program.

What is the difference between the School Psychology Specialist program and the master's program in Educational Psychology?

Students in the School Psychology Specialist program are required to obtain a master's degree in Educational Psychology before they go on to courses in the specialist program. A master's degree alone does not allow one to practice as a school psychologist in the schools. Certification coursework and an internship (credits beyond the master's degree) are required for the specialist program.

Can I obtain a master's degree attending summers only?

No, it would not be possible to attend only in the Summer because some required courses are offered only in the Fall or Spring semesters. However, it is possible to take several courses in the Summer. Most Fall and Spring courses are offered late in the day, making it possible for those who work full time to still attend classes.

How do I apply?

Applicants for the master's and specialist programs are considered only once per year, in the spring. Students start as a cohort group in the fall. All application materials must be received by the Graduate School and the Department before applicants can be considered. Therefore, it is wise to start the application process early. Contact Dr. Mark R. McGowan at if you have questions.

What type of financial support is available for students in the program?

Financial aid information is available from the IUP Financial Aid office. Assistantships, both in the Educational and School Psychology Department and elsewhere on campus, are available to full-time students on a competitive basis. The number of assistantships available varies from year to year. Assistantships, which require that the student work a certain number of hours per week, may cover part or all of the student's tuition and also provide a stipend.

Typically, 95 percent of students enrolled in the specialist program and 67 percent of students enrolled in the doctoral program receive financial aid. Through graduate assistantships, students are able to receive anywhere from $2,720 to $5,440 a year in addition to a waiver for nine to twelve credit hours. On average, students who receive a graduate assistantship work eight to 20 hours a week, depending upon the amount of financial aid received.