Skip to Content - Skip to Navigation

Frequently Asked Questions

This section is designed primarily for use by current students of the Safety Sciences Department. If you have additional questions or should you need clarification about any of the information here or contained as part of the Safety Sciences Department website, please feel free to contact us!

How do I schedule for upcoming semesters?

Stop by the department office (117 Johnson) during scheduling periods to make an appointment to see your academic advisor. Scheduling for Summer and Fall semesters begins in mid-March. Scheduling for Spring semester starts in mid-October. Your advisor will provide important guidance and give you scheduling instructions. Each student must meet with their advisor in order to get their pin number.

When do I apply for a co-op job?

Students interested in co-op jobs should pick up applications from the Safety Sciences Department office (117 Johnson) . Applications for Summer semester Co-op are generally due in mid-February; applications for Spring semester Co-op are due in mid-October, and applications for Fall semester Co-op are due in April.

When do I apply for a full-time internship?

Students who are eligible for and interested in full-time internships must formally apply. Applications are available in the department office (117 Johnson) and should be submitted by the end of January for Summer and Fall semester internships, and by mid-September for the Spring semester internship.

I would like to audit a course. What is the process to do this?

Forms are available in the department office (117 Johnson Hall). Deadline for filing: End of the first week of classes. The chairperson of the department offering the course must sign. Student takes form to the Scheduling Center (Clark).

I need to repeat a course, and I need a Course Repeat Form. What is the process involved to repeat a course?

Unless the D/F Repeat Form is properly filed, the Cumulative Grade Point Average replacement adjustment will not happen. Forms are available from the department office (117 Johnson Hall). Deadline: Check semester calendar in scheduling book. Student fills out form and obtains advisor's signature. Forms must be received by the Scheduling Center (Clark) within ten days from the start of classes. "F" grades in required classes must be repeated. Only six repeats are allowed. Credits for the seventh repeat and all subsequent ones will be included as new credits in the computation of the cumulative GPA.

I'd like to apply for course substitution. What is the process for this?

Forms are available from the department office (117 Johnson Hall). The form must be in the student's file before clearance for graduation. Student completes the form, obtains advisor's signature, and taken to the department office.

If approved, the form will be signed by the department chairperson and the associate dean.

What is the process for course withdrawal?

Used to drop out of an enrolled class after the deadline for drop/add has passed. IUP undergraduate students are allowed a maximum of five individual course withdrawals during their academic careers at IUP.

I would like to take more than 17 credits. What is the process to exceed the usual maximum academic load?

Permission is required if a student wishes to schedule more than 17 credits. Application forms are available in the Safety Sciences Office (117 Johnson) and in the associate dean's office (222 Zink Hall). Application must be reviewed and approved by the student's advisor and the associate dean. Application must be taken to the Scheduling Center prior to registration. At late registration, the form is presented to the terminal operator.

What do I need to do in order to get a grade changed?

Forms are completed by the instructor of the course for a change in grade, to add an omitted grade, or to change an incomplete grade. Changes must be completed within 180 days of issuance of the original grade.The student will receive a corrected grade report from the Registrar's Office.

When do I apply for graduation?

Students may apply for graduation on URSA. The application deadline is as follows:

  • May graduation: Apply by November 15 (one semester before anticipated graduation)
  • August graduation: Apply by April 1 (one semester before anticipated graduation)
  • December graduation: Apply by April 1 (one semester before aniticpated graduation)

If you miss the deadline, paper applications may be picked up in the Safety Sciences Department office (117 Johnson).

  • Safety Sciences Department
  • Johnson Hall, Room 117
    1010 Oakland Avenue
    Indiana, PA 15705
  • Phone: 724-357-3017
  • Fax: 724-357-3992
  • Office Hours
  • Monday through Friday
  • 8:00 a.m.–12:00 p.m.
  • 1:00 p.m.–4:30 p.m.