Preserve, Conserve, Use
Two years ago, thanks to a $200,000 Getty Foundation grant, IUP became one of four regional universities included in Pittsburgh History and Landmarks Foundation’s second Western Pennsylvania Campus Heritage Study. In company with California, Seton Hill, and Washington & Jefferson, IUP welcomed PHLF study teams to campus.
The outcome of the study was a plan, unveiled early this past summer, which addressed the preservation, conservation, and continued use of the historic landscape and buildings of IUP. Attention was concentrated on the oldest buildings in the oldest part of the campus: Sutton, Clark, Waller, Fisher, Wilson, McElhaney, Leonard, Keith, Breezedale, Whitmyre, and Uhler.
Readers can find the entire hundred-page PDF report, lavishly illustrated, at the IUP Libraries Special Collections and Archives site: (Scroll down to Preservation Plan of Indiana University of Pennsylvania, 2009. Warning: It’s easy to be waylaid by a variety of interesting links listed here.)
In general, the report gave the university high marks: “The historic buildings of Indiana University of Pennsylvania have been sensitively maintained with past alterations and additions, which have generally respected the historic character of each building. The university’s oldest structures, Breezedale and John Sutton Hall, have been preserved with almost all of their original historic character intact.”
Then and Now
A construction chronology provides an idea of just how historic the campus’s landmarks are.
Click any image for a larger version.
1868: Breezedale (purchased by ISTC, 1947)
1875: John Sutton Hall (In 1903, Thomas Sutton Hall and an extension to John Sutton Hall were constructed. They were demolished in 1975)
1875: John Sutton Hall (rear)
1894: Wilson Hall, constructed as the campus’s Model School
1906: Clark Hall (original 1894 building burned in 1905)
about 1920: Uhler Hall (purchased by ISTC, 1963)
1927: Gymnasium (now Waller Hall)
1939: Keith School (now Keith Hall)
1953: Leonard Hall (original 1903 building burned in 1952)