As construction was winding down in May on the two buildings in the Suites on Grant complex, ground was broken for the second phase of IUP’s Residential Revival. In this phase, the traditionally styled Suites on Maple will rise, replacing Langham, Stewart, Mack, and Turnbull halls. At the same time, the Northern Suites will be built in a section bounded by Breezedale on the north, Whitmyre on the east, Keith on the south, and Walsh on the west.
The easternmost building of the Suites on Maple, at the corner of Maple Street (to the left) and Pratt Drive (to the right). This will be the location of the university’s Wellness Center.
The Residential Revival project is a collaboration of the university and the Foundation for IUP. Demolition of Langham, the Tri-Halls, and Gordon began in May. Not long before that, at groundbreaking ceremonies for Phase II, several speakers recognized legendary figures for whom the razed buildings had been named in the middle of the last century.
With soon-to-be-demolished Gordon Hall as a backdrop, ground was broken in May for the Northern Suites, a Phase II project of the Residential Revival. Left to right: Council of Trustees Chairman David Osikowicz, State Senator Don White, Foundation for IUP President Chris Holuta, and IUP President Tony Atwater. Photo: Keith Boyer
Jonathan Nicholas Langham was a three-term member of Congress and common pleas court judge. Hope Stewart was dean of women from 1898 to 1938. Mable Waller Mack served as vice president of the Indiana State Teachers College trustees from 1946 to 1956. Agnes Sligh Turnbull ’10 was a bestselling novelist whose works about Western Pennsylvania are still read. McClellan Gordon held two degrees from Indiana Normal School and taught mathematics there from 1892 to 1927. His daughter, Elinor Gordon Blair, lives in Indiana and has written for IUP Magazine.
Not all the disruption to campus involved building demolition. By the end of April, members of the Evergreen Garden Club, Master Gardeners of Indiana, and IUP grounds crew removed scores of perennial plants from the Touch and Smell Garden near Gordon. The plants will have homes in household gardens or at Indiana County’s Blue Spruce Park until many return to campus in a year or two as part of a new garden between the Northern Suites and Keith Hall. Planning for that garden has proceeded in conjunction with the master plan of the Allegheny Arboretum at IUP.
Volunteers moved perennials from the Touch and Smell Garden near Gordon to make way for the Northern Suites. Photo: Jerry Pickering
Within a few weeks, 734 students will move into the Suites on Grant. The ground floors of the buildings have office space for the John P. Murtha Institute for Homeland Security, Applied Research Laboratory, African American Cultural Center, Office of Social Equity and Civic Engagement, International Affairs office, and Information Technology Services.
A year from now, 1,102 students will be getting ready to occupy the Suites on Maple and the Northern Suites. All IUP students will benefit from the new Wellness Center that will be accessible from Maple Street in one of the Phase II buildings. The IUP Office of Residence Life and Student Housing Development will move from Clark Hall to one of the new buildings.
The Northern Suites building at the north end of campus; the entrance shown faces Keith and Walsh halls. The wing at left extends north toward Elkin Hall; the wing at right extends east toward the HUB.
The Residential Revival project ascribes to standards set forth by the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Green Building Rating System, a nationally accepted benchmark for the design, construction, and operation of high-performance green buildings. The process of attaining certification starts with building design and continues through construction completion and into at least one year of the building’s use. Only at that time—and after extensive review—can certification be granted.
Information about the Residential Revival and the living-learning aspects of its buildings has appeared in the last five issues of IUP Magazine.