Kovalchick Convention and Athletic Complex opened, on schedule, in early March. Details of the project are described in Message from the President. More information about the complex—including facility specifications and how to book it for events—is available at the Kovalchick Complex website.
Click any image to start a slideshow of images.
Ed Fry Arena in Kovalchick Complex, several weeks before the facility opened.
Two views of Kovalchick Complex area from Indiana Regional Medical Center—one taken in 2004 and the other several weeks before the complex opened. The tip of the peaked roof on Eberly’s Alumni Auditorium is visible just behind the roof the complex.
What had once been Winky’s (“Home of the Big Wink”) disappeared forever, to be replaced by the parking lots of Kovalchick Complex. One scene is from 2007 and the other from a month or so before the complex opened in early March.
The grand opening for Kovalchick Convention and Athletic Complex was March 4, 2011. From the left: Interior of the complex during the opening. Several area representatives spoke during the ceremony. Joseph Kovalchick cutting the ribbon.
Additional photos can be viewed on IUP’s Facebook page.
Appreciation of Support
The following donors have named various facilities and rooms in Kovalchick Convention and Athletic Complex. More than 330 people and organizations have contributed financially to the creation of this community resource, and each gift helped to make the complex a reality.
Opportunities still exist to name rooms and sections of Kovalchick Complex. For more information, contact University Relations at IUP at 724-357-5661.
- Bentley Development Co., Inc.
- Edward Bratton and Joan Bratton
- Gary Buterbaugh ’67
- M. Dorcas Clark
- Sandra Hoover Diefenderfer ’67 and William Diefenderfer, III
- Michael Donnelly and Linda Donnelly
- John Eck and Dorothy Eck
- EME Homer City Generating Station, an Edison International Company
- First Commonwealth Financial Corporation
- Stephen Glass ’39 and Catherine Lentz Glass ’42
- Eric Gottfredson and Stacie Gottfredson
- Terry Griffith ’74, Donna McCrea Griffith ’74, M’77, and Sean Griffith ’01
- Grube Partners
- Amy Beth Buterbaugh Halsey ’78
- The Hardy Family Trust
- Thomas Harley and Patrice Harley
- Harrisburg Area IUP Alumni
- Bonnie Houser
- Chad Hurley ’99
- Indiana First Bank
- IUP Alumni Association
- IUP Ambassadors
- Frank Kinter, Jr., and Hastie Kinter
- Judith Geyer Kovalchick ’65, M’69 and Joseph Kovalchick
- Martha Mack Lewis Foundation
- Edward Mackey and Cecelia Mackey
- Kimberly Guthrie McCarl ’83 and Shawn McCarl
- Phi Sigma Kappa Fraternity, Theta Pentaton Chapter
- T. W. Phillips Gas and Oil Co.
- PNC Foundation
- John Polesky ’49
- Rodney Ruddock ’65, M’75 and Ellen Sylves Ruddock ’66
- S&T Bank
- Sheetz Incorporated
- Candice Cederland Spadafora ’68 and William Spadafora
- Cecil Spadafora, Jr. and Mary Anne Spadafora
- Charles Spadafora and Linda Spadafora
- Jo-Una Spadafora
- William Stefan Family
- Andrew W. Stephenson ’72
- Harry Young and the late Elsie Young