For more specific information, please refer to OPEIU Collective Bargaining Agreement, Article 8: Personal Leave Days.

Why would I use Personal Leave?

Personal leave can be requested and used for an unscheduled absence of a non-medical emergency nature.

Personal leave is to be used for absences due to reasons not covered by other leave options, such as sick/bereavement, civil, or military.

How is Personal Leave earned/accrued?

12-month OPEIU employees earn six (5) paid personal leave days per year as follows:

  • Employees must be permanent. Temporary employees are not eligible to earn personal leave regardless of whether or not they have met the 750-hour threshold for accruing annual and sick leave.
  • Employees must have 20 days or 160 hours (40-hour work week) in an active pay status each calendar year quarter.
  • One (1) personal day is earned in the first, second and fourth quarters.
  • Two (2) personal days are earned in the third quarter
  • Permanent part-time employees who are in an active pay status shall receive personal leave days on a pro-rated basis, calculated to the nearest one-half day.

How do I request and use Personal Leave?

  • Requests are made through Employee Self-Service (ESS) using the reason, Personal Leave.
  • Requests to use personal leave should be made in advance, if possible.  Personal leave can be requested and used for unscheduled absences of an emergency nature or if the employee has been approved to use annual leave as sick, parental, or family care absence. 
  • Employees must have at least 30 calendar days of service before personal leave can be used.
  • Employees with more than one year of service may request and be approved to use personal leave that is expected to be earned in the current leave calendar year.

What happens if I don't use all my personal leave in the same calendar year?

  • Personal leave does not carry over from year to year.
  • Unused personal leave from the prior leave calendar year that is not used within the first seven pay periods of the new leave calendar year will be lost.

What happens to my unused personal leave if I end employment or retire?

Employees who retire, resign, or otherwise separate from the university are entitled to receive a payout of unused personal leave.

The payout is based on the number of days available on the last day of employment and the employee’s salary at the time of separation.