Skip to main content
IUP artmark

For Students

  • IUP students in India
  • Where to Start

    Ready to start learning about how to change your life? Here are some first steps you should do:

  • Make an Informed Decision

    The information below will help you as you begin your journey.

    Choosing Your Education Abroad Program

    Selecting the most appropriate program for your needs is very important. To do so, you need to know yourself, your personal goals, and your individual expectations. To ensure that you have the most positive experience abroad, you should research all of the exciting options available to you.

    The IUP Education Abroad Office website is a great tool to assist you in narrowing down your choices based on the following considerations:

    • How much time do you want to spend abroad? We offer summer, semester, and full academic year programs.
    • What are your primary academic goals for your experience abroad? Do you need to take courses for your major or can you take general electives? Do you have a language requirement to fulfill?
    • What are your cost considerations? Do you use federal financial aid? Do you receive scholarships or tuition waivers?
    • Are you looking for a program that will offer in-depth cultural immersion in a particular culture or society? Or would you prefer a traveling program?
    • Do you want a program in which you will take university classes with local students in the local language? Or would you prefer to take classes designed specifically for IUP students and/or other U.S. education abroad students?
    • Would you prefer to live in a major metropolitan area, in a small city, or in a rural area?
    • Would you prefer to live with a host family, with local students, with other U.S. and international study abroad students, or with other IUP students?
    • Do you have any special needs such as a medical condition, learning disability, mental health condition, or dietary restriction that may need accommodation or specialized resources while abroad?
    • Do you meet the minimum eligibility requirements for education abroad? Do you meet the admission requirements for your selected study abroad programs?

    Types of Education Abroad Programs

    Crimson Exchanges

    Reciprocal agreements between IUP and an international institution provide for an equal exchange of students. In a Crimson Exchange program, IUP students pay IUP in-state tuition and out-of-state fees for their credits abroad.

    Students will work with their academic advisors to determine course equivalencies for the work they do abroad. Participants will be responsible for paying for flights, books, travel, etc. in addition to their regular IUP in-state tuition, while room and board vary with each exchange site. Students will most likely be in regular university classes with students from the host country and not in special classes designed for foreigners. Proficiency in the host language may be required. Programs are available for all majors, though some may be restricted to a specific department or college. Students should refer to specific program information for details. Students receive transfer credit, not grades.

    Faculty-Led Programs

    Faculty-led programs are study abroad programs led by an IUP faculty member. In this type of program, students pay IUP tuition for their courses according to their classification and degree level.

    Students also pay a program fee,, which generally includes accommodations, meals, local transportation, program related excursions, airfare, and other expenses. Each program focuses on a certain academic discipline with students earning direct IUP course credit, and incorporates excursions and field trips to give students the opportunity to explore and learn about their host country. These programs are primarily offered in the summer and winter sessions. Students are directly enrolled in IUP courses; therefore, they will earn grades for each course.

    Third-Party Programs (CEA, SAI, ISEP, Semester at Sea)

    Third-party programs are offered by organizations that have an official affiliation with IUP. Participants in an IUP Partnership program DO NOT pay IUP tuition.

    Instead, they pay a program fee, which includes tuition and-usually-additional features such as accommodation, meals, dedicated on-site staff, in-country orientations, airport pick-up, insurance, and excursions as part of a comprehensive program package. Students participating in partnership programs may either be taking courses with students from the host country or with other American or international students only. Compare program details and costs carefully, because not all programs include the same features. In Partnership programs, IUP students are assigned IUP course equivalencies (transfer credits) for the work they do abroad, and, just as the reciprocal exchange programs, the grades earned are not factored into their IUP GPAs.

    Internships Abroad

    An international internship can be an exciting way to diversify your experience and make you more marketable to employers. There are options to do internships at a few of our exchange programs—speak with your Education Abroad advisor for details about these opportunities. 

    To be able to count an international internship for internship credit for a required internship for your program at IUP, you will need to get the program approved by the internship coordinator in your specific department.

    In addition to our exchange partners, IUP students can find internship opportunities abroad with the following third-party program providers.

    • CEA Study Abroad offers internships for either the semester or summer in France, Ireland, Spain, England, Czech Republic, and Costa Rica. You can learn more about the opportunities by visiting the CEA Internship Information website.
    • SAI programs offers a variety of internship opportunities through Europe. The SAI Internships website has all the information you will need to start your search.

    Meet with the Education Abroad Advisor

    Now that you have decided to take the next step in learning about education abroad programs, you are likely wondering where to begin or who to talk to. If you haven’t yet been to a Wednesday Workshop, that is a great place to start. They are every week, during the semester, in Delaney B-25 at 5:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m.

    Once you have attended one of these meetings, you can make an appointment with the Education Abroad Advisor by using our meet the staff page. When making an appointment, be sure to type in what you would like to talk about in this meeting if you know any specifics.

    Pre-Approval for Transfer Credits

    While you are studying abroad, you will be earning credits at your host institution. You must be registered for the American equivalent of 12 credits (minimum) for undergraduate semester or 9 credits for graduate semester. Summer sessions vary from 3 credits to 9 credits per session.

    In order to get credit for your time abroad, the following items must be in place:

    • Pre-approval for coursework at another university/college form must be completed and submitted to the Office of Transfer Services, G27 Sutton Hall.
    • You will meet with one of the transfer coordinators to complete this form. Please make an appointment to do so. Contact information can be found on the staff link.

    Status and Credits While Abroad

    While abroad, students will remain a registered student at IUP (computer accounts remain active, students can register while abroad, etc.) and will have the same access to information as if they were still present on campus.

    Students earn transfer credit(s) for all IUP study abroad programs, meaning they will maintain their degree progress; however, their GRADES will NOT be counted in the GPA, unless it is a faculty-led program.

    Faculty-led programs each have a specific academic focus, and will therefore require all participants to enroll directly in the IUP course(s) taught on the program.

    All other study abroad programs offer courses instructed by another academic institution. Students are enrolled in an IUP placeholder course while they are overseas. The IUP Office of Transfer Services will work with students to establish IUP course equivalencies for each of the courses the student has completed abroad.

    Students applying to participate in Crimson Hawk Exchange or Partnership programs are required to meet with their academic advisor as part of the application process, to talk about what classes they can or cannot take abroad and what requirements they need to fulfill. Your advisor may be required to sign an Academic Advising Form before you will be accepted to your program.

    Check out the transfer credit equivalency website for courses that students have taken in the past. Students can print this list of pre-established course equivalencies and take it to their academic advisor for review. If there is a course listed that you need to take, your advisor can write it on the Academic Advising Form. Not all classes are listed here. If your advisor does not see what you need to take, you will need to talk to the credit evaluator in the IUP Office of Transfer Services about other courses that may be available.

    After completion of your overseas program, the transcript will arrive at the OIE. This could take two to four months to receive. It will then be copied for your file here and a copy for you. The original will go to the Transfer Credit office and may take upwards of six weeks to be posted.

    Financial Aid and Billing

    IUP Billing

    Depending on which program you choose, you will be paying one of the following:

    • Equivalent to IUP in-state tuition and out-of-state fees, education abroad fee (Crimson Hawk Exchange)
    • IUP tuition and fees, education abroad fee (faculty-led)
    • Program costs, education abroad fee (third party affiliates/providers)

    Students on the above programs are billed for the outbound semester. For third-party affiliates/providers, the OIE is invoiced by those programs and the charges are put on the students’ IUP bill.

    counting money

    Need to Know more about Financing Study Abroad?

    Schedule an appointment with Heather Mcgregor, the director in charge of Education Abroad in the Financial Aid Office.
    Please e-mail to schedule an appointment to see how you can use your financial aid on your study abroad program.

    You will need to complete the Financial Aid Budget Sheet prior to your meeting with Heather.

    Talk with parents (if applicable) about alternative/ additional loans: Plus Loans, Private Education Loans (see IUP Financial website for details)

    Research scholarship opportunities

    Applying to a Program

    Now that you know more about the process, and have researched the programs to decide which is the best option for you, here is how you will apply for the program.

    1. Find the program of interest (Program Search).
    2. Click on the “apply now” button. You'll need your IUP MSD username (four letters) and password.
    3. There are several components to an education abroad application:
      • Materials to be physically submitted to the OIE (instructions are included on each of those items)
      • Electronic submissions
      • Valid passport
      • Informal interview/meeting with the assistant director and the education abroad advisor
      • Host application
      • Visa information/application
  • Bukky Salako in South Korea

    “I am elated that I decided to study abroad.  I learned so much about myself, Korean culture, and made new friends from all over the world.  I would definitely recommend studying abroad and choosing a place that takes you out of your comfort zone...”

    Bukky Salako, Class of 2015
    Composition and TESOL PhD