Below you'll find answers to some commonly asked questions about the three tracks for our bachelor's degree in Medical Imaging—the Nuclear Medicine Technology track, the Medical Sonography (Ultrasound) track, and the Echocardiography track. If you don't find what you're looking for, just email or call, and we'll be happy to help you.

How can I learn more about the Medical Imaging program at IUP?

Individual appointments with the Allied Health Coordinator can be made to discuss IUP’s Medical Imaging major and its three tracks. For more information or to schedule an appointment, contact the Department of Nursing and Allied Health Professions at 724-357-7647. In addition, you will find details about curriculum requirements, affiliating Schools of Medical Imaging, and more on the Current and Prospective Students page.

When I am a Medical Imaging major at IUP, how will I know what courses to take and when to apply for admission to one of the affiliating Schools of Medical Imaging?

Every semester, each Medical Imaging student meets individually with the Allied Health Coordinator. During these meetings the coordinator and student discuss courses in which the student is currently enrolled, plans for subsequent semesters, and the application process.

What if I need help to succeed in some courses?

IUP has outstanding academic support services such as workshops, one-credit courses, and peer tutors. The Writing Center is another service that helps students succeed and excel. IUP faculty members also offer assistance during office hours, and many faculty members conduct review sessions outside of class time to help students prepare for exams.

How much will it cost to earn a degree?

While enrolled at IUP in the pre-clinical phase, students pay tuition and fees to IUP. Visit the Student Billing website for current costs. While attending an affiliating School of Medical Imaging, the student pays a nominal registration/administrative fee to IUP and pays tuition directly to the school the student is attending. Tuition varies by school, but ranges from approximately $9,000 to $25,000 for the twelve-month program. Students may still be eligible for financial aid through IUP while enrolled in the clinical phase of the program.

May I take courses during the winter or summer at IUP or at another college or university?

Many students decide to take courses during winter session or summer sessions. This often permits students to register for a lighter course load during the Fall and/or Spring semester or helps them to stay on track with plans to progress to the clinical phase of the program. While some students elect to complete summer courses at IUP, other students take classes at a college or university closer to their homes. The Allied Health coordinator assists students who plan to take courses elsewhere. A helpful website to investigate equivalent courses is the Online Transfer Credit Equivalency System.

When will I be ready to start the clinical component of the program and when would I graduate?

All courses in the pre-clinical phase of the program must be completed before progressing to the clinical year. Each affiliating school or program for Nuclear Medicine Technology and Diagnostic Medical Sonography establishes its own calendar, but typically classes begin in late August or early September. Since the clinical phase is actually twelve months, Medical Imaging students graduate in August once the clinical phase is completed. In addition to a fall class, the Nuclear Medicine Institute also admits a class every January, and students then graduate in December of that year.

Since IUP does not guarantee admission to an affiliating School of Medical Imaging, what will I do if I am not admitted to one?

Admission to a School of Medical Imaging is competitive. The best approach to being admitted is to be successful in your studies while at IUP. The higher your grade point average, the more likely you will be admitted to the school of your choice. If a student is not admitted, it is most likely because of low grades, especially in key science courses. In this case, a student may decide to repeat courses to earn higher grades and then reapply for admission.

May I enroll in the program on a part-time basis?

Students may enroll in the pre-clinical courses on a full-time or part-time basis. Once the student begins the clinical phase of the program, full-time study is required.

Where do I live while enrolled in the clinical phase of the program?

Students admitted to the Nuclear Medicine Institute (NMI) or Diagnostic Medical Sonography Programs spend one semester at Findlay and often live in housing conveniently located near the institute. Once students begin their eight months of clinical training at one of the hospitals affiliated with Findlay, they typically find an apartment near that hospital. Students admitted to the Community College of Allegheny County nuclear medicine program find an apartment in the Pittsburgh area or stay with family or friends nearby.

Do I need my own car?

If you live on or near campus during the pre-clinical phase of the program, it is not necessary to have your own car. Depending upon the location of the affiliating School of Medical Imaging to which you are admitted and the housing you select, it may be necessary to have your own transportation.

Do many students have part-time jobs while in college?

The majority of students at IUP find part-time jobs while taking classes, and many students use the summer months to earn money to help them pay for college expenses. While in the clinical phase of the program, some students find part-time jobs, but recognize it is difficult to manage clinical training, assignments, and studying with a demanding or time-consuming job.

Do I earn a degree from IUP even though the clinical phase is somewhere else?

When you have completed all degree requirements, you earn a Bachelor of Science degree in one of the three offered Medical Imaging tracks: nuclear medicine technology, diagnostic medical sonography (ultrasound) or echocardiography from IUP and a certificate of completion from the school which you attended.

What do students like most about IUP's Medical Imaging program?

While at IUP during the pre-clinical phase, students enjoy campus life, the diverse activities available to them, and the opportunity to meet new friends. Students often speak highly of their interactions with faculty members and the valuable learning support services. During the clinical phase of the program, students are impressed with the sophisticated technology found in hospital departments and are amazed at how much there is to learn. Most of all, they find it rewarding to perform imaging procedures that make valuable contributions to the health care of patients.

Where do graduates find jobs?

Some graduates are hired at the hospital in which they completed their clinical training. Others seek employment in their hometown hospitals, while others take advantage of the opportunity to move to new locations across the country. While most new graduates begin their careers in a hospital setting, some will be employed in other health care settings, including imaging centers, radiopharmacies, and private industry.

I already have a bachelor's degree. How many more courses will I have to complete to earn a BS degree in one of the three Medical Imaging tracks?

Students who have already earned a first bachelor's degree from a college or university are admitted to the Medical Imaging program with advanced placement. Often, especially if the first degree was science-related, students must only complete a few remaining courses before progressing to the clinical phase of the program at one of the affiliating schools of Medical Imaging.