Winter Weather Awareness Week, November 11–15: Is Your Home Winterized?

Posted on 11/11/2019 2:13:34 PM

Winter weather and cold temperatures can not only be dangerous to us, but also to our homes.  Many people prefer to remain indoors during winter but staying inside is no guarantee of safety. Take these steps to keep your home safe and warm during the winter months.

Winterize your home. Clipart of a house surrounded with a scarf

  • Install weather stripping, insulation, and storm windows.
  • Insulate water lines that run along exterior walls.
  • Clean out gutters and repair roof leaks.

Check your heating systems.

  • Have your heating system serviced professionally to make sure that it is clean, working properly, and ventilated to the outside.
  • Inspect and clean fireplaces and chimneys.
  • Install a smoke detector. Test batteries monthly and replace them twice a year.
  • Have a safe alternate heating source and alternate fuels available.
  • Prevent carbon monoxide emergencies:
    • Install a carbon monoxide detector to alert you of the presence of the deadly, odorless, colorless gas. Check batteries when you change your clocks in the fall and spring.
    • Learn symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning: headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion.

Use space heaters safety. 

  • Keep space heaters at least three feet away from drapes, furniture, or bedding. 
  • Never cover your space heater.
  • Never place a space heater on top of furniture or near water.
  • Never leave children unattended near a space heater.
  • Make sure that the cord of an electric space heater is not a tripping hazard, but do not run the cord under carpets or rugs.
  • Avoid using extension cords to plug in your space heater.
  • If your space heater has a damaged electrical cord or produces sparks, do not use it.

If there is a power failure:

  • Use battery-powered flashlights or lanterns rather than candles, if possible. Candles can lead to house fires.
  • If you do use candles, never leave lit candles unattended.
This message is brought to you by the IUP Emergency Management Office.