originally dedicated on a homecoming weekend in 1972. Forty-three
years later, “Ma Folger” would undoubtedly be proud of the “new” dining hall
named in her honor. Indiana
University of Pennsylvania will officially “cut the ribbon” to celebrate the newly
renovated Folger Dining Hall on October 2, 2015 at 11:00 a.m.
The ribbon cutting is open to
the community. Light refreshments reflecting future menus will be provided
after the ceremony inside the building.
Dining Hall is located on Pratt drive, across from the Suites on Maple East.
Hall is named in honor of the late Olive K. Folger, affectionately known as “Ma
Folger” by a generation of students. She
was the dietitian at Indiana State Teachers College from 1934 until her
retirement in 1958. The building was dedicated at homecoming weekend on October
27, 1972. Folger earned her bachelor of science degree in home economics from
IUP (then Indiana State Teachers College) in 1948 and she was a member of Kappa
renovated facility is phase two of IUP’s $37-million dining master plan, IUP
Dining Innovations. The $13.75-million renovation project began in May 2014.
Dining Hall is designed to create specialized services and menus that match
student lifestyles. It will include the Global Grill, which combines Mongolian,
char and flattop grills preparing international dishes and traditional
favorites; the Sandwich Artisan; Olive’s Kitchen with traditional favorites,
vegetarian dishes and features for those with special dietary needs; Pasta la Vista,
featuring pizzas and pasta; Produce Market (salad bar); and Great Wraps,
located in the lobby of the building.
Dining Hall is also focused on being environmentally friendly. The floors are
made from 97 percent natural raw materials, 72 percent of which are renewable
and will grow back within 10 years. It is made with 43 percent recycled
content. The chairs – a total of 239 of them -- are made from 26,529 recycled
plastic soda bottles.
table bases are 99 percent consumer waste, fabricated from recycled cast iron
automobile engine parts. At the end of their life, they are 100 percent
recyclable. The wood table tops are Forest Stewardship Council Certified,
coming from responsibly managed forests evaluated to meet the council’s strict
environmental and social standards.
and elm planks on the wall are sourced from agricultural structures and are 100
percent post-consumer recycled. The resin panels are 40 percent pre-consumer
IUP’s first dining facility to use LED fixtures throughout the facility. The
average energy reduction from fluorescent to LED is 35 percent. Occupancy sensors
are used to dim the LEDs when required light levels are met with natural light.
High efficiency plumbing fixtures also are used in the building.
building’s mechanical systems also are designed as energy efficient. For
example, exhaust hoods in the kitchen and server areas run at full capacity
during high use times; after prime dining hours, they run at low capacity.
There is demand controlled ventilation in the high density areas of the building,
which means that after hours, air conditioning slows down to save energy. Air
conditioning and heating are reset based on outdoor air temperature as well.
Phase one of the project, The Crimson
Café, is located on Eleventh Street across from Sprowls Hall and adjacent to
the IUP Performing Arts Center. Opened in August 2014, this $6.5 million,
400-seat retail dining facility includes a Starbucks, the Crimson Bistro,
Burger Studio and the Fireplace, plus a selection of grab-and-go items,
including soup, salads, wraps and hot meals.
Dining Innovations concludes
with Phase III, North Dining: A Destination, to be completed for the 2017-2018
Dining revenues fund
the renovation and construction of the three facilities that are part of the
Dining Innovations Plan.
The IUP Council of Trustees approved
the $37-million campus dining master plan in December 2011. The development of
that plan by Desmone & Associates Architects, of Pittsburgh, and Envision
Strategies, based in Colorado, was approved in 2010 and included extensive
study, focus groups and surveys of students.
of the findings used to develop the campus dining master plan were as follows:
North Dining Commons, Phase III of the plan, will be located adjacent to
Wallwork Hall in the footprint of what is now Keith Hall. It will have 450
seats and an “all you care to eat” format.
North Dining Commons project will begin after the completion of the new
humanities building, scheduled for January 2016, and the demolition of Keith
Hall. Keith Hall will be replaced by the new humanities building.
architects and planners determined that Foster Dining Hall, located at Grant
and 11th streets and built in 1966, required renovations so extensive that it
would not be cost effective to continue operations there. How the land Foster
occupies will be used has not yet been determined.
long-range campus facilities master plan was approved by the Council of
Trustees in December 2010.