IUP and the Foundation for IUP formally dedicated the Heritage Garden on Tuesday, May 17, 2011.
The garden is in front of the Northern Suites residence hall.
Speakers for the dedication ceremony included Dr. Cornelius Wooten, vice president for Administration and Finance, and Dr. Ruth Riesenman, representing the Foundation for IUP.
During the Residential Revival—the project that replaced existing university-owned housing with new suite-style buildings—the Touch and Smell Garden, which had been created and maintained by volunteers from the Evergreen Garden Club of Indiana, was razed for the construction of the Northern Suites.
Members of the Foundation for IUP, a nonprofit entity that owns the Residential Revival buildings, met with members of the Evergreen Garden Club to make plans for a new garden to replace the Touch and Smell Garden.
The Evergreen Garden Club created a Design Review Committee, consisting of Carla Eichman, Barbara Thomas, Shirley Risinger, Jean Williams, Omah Duggan, and Julie Receski, to work with the university to design the new garden. Members of the Evergreen Garden Club continue to volunteer to maintain the garden.
The name Heritage Garden was chosen by the Evergreen Garden Club, and plants for the garden were chosen to reflect plants typical of the period of IUP’s origin as Indiana Normal School in 1875.
The garden landscaping includes a fountain and a plaque recognizing the Evergreen Garden Club and its efforts in maintaining the garden.
The Touch and Smell Garden had its beginnings in 1979 with the founding of the Evergreen Garden Club. It was formally dedicated in 1984.
Before the establishment of the Touch and Smell Garden, the university had the Shakespeare Garden, which included plants cited in Shakespeare’s writings. It was dedicated in 1954 and was maintained by volunteers from the Indiana Garden Club until the early 1970s.
Members of the Evergreen Garden Club posed with, front right, Ruth Riesenman, representing the Foundation for IUP, and Cornelius Wooten, vice president for Administration and Finance at IUP, during the Heritage Garden dedication. (Keith Boyer photo)
View of flowers and other plants in the Heritage Garden, with the Northern Suites visible in the background (Keith Boyer photo)
On hand for the unveiling of the plaque for the Heritage Garden, May 17, 2011, were, from left, Cornelius Wooten, vice president for Administration and Finance at IUP; Deborah Kuffa, president of the Evergreen Garden Club; Tom Borellis, director of Student Housing Development; and Ruth Riesenman, representing the Foundation for IUP. (Keith Boyer photo)