Am I Eligible for Financial Aid?

  • Determining if You Are Eligible for Federal Financial Aid

    When you complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), it is reviewed to see if you are eligible for financial aid. Your first step when seeking financial aid, is to complete the FAFSA.

    You May Qualify for Financial Aid if You:

    • Are a US citizen, national, permanent resident, or other eligible noncitizen.

    • Have a high school diploma or are a GED recipient.

    • Are enrolled or accepted for enrollment for a bachelor’s degree, associate’s degree, post-baccalaureate teacher’s certification program, post-baccalaureate second undergraduate degree, master’s degree, or doctoral degree.

    • Are enrolled at least half-time (6 credits for undergraduate students or 4.5 credits for graduate students—with exceptions—per term). See Enrollment Status and Withdrawals. (If your aid is based on full-time enrollment, dropping below full-time credits can seriously affect your financial aid. See below.)

    • Maintain satisfactory academic progress: a cumulative GPA (2.0 for undergraduates and 3.0 for graduate students) and earn at least 67 percent of the credits for which you originally register. (See Satisfactory Academic Progress.)

    • Are not in default of a Federal Direct Loan, are not in repayment on a Federal Pell Grant or a Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, and have not borrowed in excess of any loan limits.

    • Have not been chosen for unusual enrollment history review.

    • Register with Selective Service if required.

    Some scholarships, loans, and student employment programs may require additional qualifications.
    A past drug conviction may or may not affect aid eligibility. Applicants should still file a FAFSA.

    How Some Types of Financial Aid Eligibility Are Determined

    • Your eligibility for Direct Loans is determined by your grade level and your remaining eligibility for need, as well as budget limits.

    • Your Pell Expected Family Contribution (EFC) determines your Pell grant eligibility.

    • If you demonstrate extreme financial need, based on the FAFSA information, you may be eligible for Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) funding.

    • Your financial need determines if you are eligible for Federal Work-Study Aid.

    Number of Credits You Take Affects Your Financial Aid

    As an undergraduate student, dropping below 12 credits drops you below full-time status. This can seriously affect your financial aid. Check with the Financial Aid Office before withdrawing from a course that takes you below full-time status. Graduate students are full-time with nine credits, with some exceptions. If you are a part-time student in a degree-seeking program, you may still be eligible for federal and state aid (at a part-time amount).

    Note: An academic year at IUP for credit-hour programs comprises a minimum of 30 weeks of instruction in which a full-time student enrolls for at least 24 credit hours. For clock-hour programs, a year comprises a minimum of 26 weeks of instruction in which a full-time student enrolls for at least 900 clock hours. These standards are used in determining eligibility for federal student aid and for loan pro-ration. 

    Selected for Verification?

    The Financial Aid Office selects a number of applicants to submit copies of their federal income tax forms and other documentation. You’ll be notified in writing if this documentation is required.

    Please respond promptly to verification requests, so we can get your financial aid handled as quickly as possible. Financial aid will not be processed or pay to the student’s account until verification has been completed. We appreciate your help in getting the documents to us as quickly as you can.