Criminal Justice Training Center
The Criminal Justice Training Center is a certified and internationally accredited public safety training academy. The center provides opportunities for rewarding roles in criminal justice, allowing our graduates to experience the benefits of community engagement and public service.
The Criminal Justice Training Center is regulated by the Pennsylvania State Police Municipal Police Officers’ Education and Training Commission and is accredited through the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies.
This Criminal Justice Training Center offers programs such as:
- Act 67 subjects related to school-based law enforcement.
- Mandated Act 120 courses toward police officer certification.
- State-mandated Act 180 courses for in-service officers to maintain their certifications.
- Act 235 required classes for private security officers, permitting them to carry firearms and other weapons while on duty.
The Criminal Justice Training Center's premier program is the Act 120 Municipal Police Officer Certification. This certification involves a three-step process:
- Complete the Act 120 Police Academy
- Pass the state certification test
- Secure full or part-time employment in Pennsylvania as a municipal police officer
- Indiana University of Pennsylvania
- Robert Morris University
- PennWest California
- Act 67 in-person and online options
Imagine Your Future
Graduates typically find full-time employment in the following categories:
- Act 67: school resource officer, school police officer, school security officer (Pennsylvania only)
- Act 120: municipal police officer in Pennsylvania, transferable to other states on a case-by-case basis
- Act 235: armed private security officer (Pennsylvania only)
Career Opportunities in Criminal Justice
Police job categories:
- patrol officer
- public relations officer
- resilience officer
- community-oriented police coordinator
- criminal investigator
- criminal intelligence
- crime scene investigator
- training officer
- computer forensics specialist
Classes and Requirements
The Criminal Justice Training Center is a values-based training center. The three core values that our training is founded upon are integrity, generosity, and moral courage.
The center offers certifications in several career categories:
- Act 67 certification for school security personnel (school resource, police, and security officers)
- Act 120 certification for municipal police officers
- Act 235 certification for armed private security officers
Full Academic Catalog Listing
The course catalog is the official reference for all our degree and course offerings. Check it out for a full listing of the classes available and requirements for this degree.
Municipal Police Officers’ Education and Training Commission
MPOETC-certified since 1975, the Criminal Justice Training Center has certified thousands of individuals as municipal police officers over more than four decades.
Pennsylvania Association of School Resource Officers
A member of PASRO since 2021, the Criminal Justice Training Center has certified more than 100 individuals in Act 67 currently working in school-based law enforcement throughout the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies
IUP’s Criminal Justice Training Center is the only municipal public safety training academy in Pennsylvania with CALEA accreditation. This accreditation is considered the gold standard in public safety.
Act 235 Lethal Weapons Training
IUP’s Criminal Justice Training Center is approved by the Pennsylvania State Police Lethal Weapons and Training Section to provide Act 235 full certification and recertification for armed private security.
CALEA Executive Director Advisory Group
Criminal Justice Training Center Director Dennis L. Marsili was selected to join an advisory group providing feedback on important issues impacting the accreditation process.