The Council of Trustees on September 15, 2011, formally approved the naming of a rehearsal hall for a professor emeritus of the Department of Music.
The space in Cogswell Hall, home to the Music Department, honors Gary James Olmstead, a forty-five-year member of the department’s faculty.
In approving the resolution for the naming of the hall, the trustees recognized Olmstead for his “contributions as one of the most highly regarded leaders in percussion education.”
He was further recognized for his innovative teaching practices and his reputation in the areas of private teaching, ensemble directing, workshop presentation, and pedagogical publications.
Olmstead retired from IUP in 2003.
In 1998, the department and Olmstead’s friends and family established the Dr. Gary J. Olmstead Percussion Scholarship for percussion students at IUP.
Olmstead’s professional honors have included the following:
Fraud, Waste, and Abuse Hotline
© 2007–17 Indiana University of Pennsylvania
1011 South Drive, Indiana, Pa. 15705 | 724-357-2100