Hearing and Auditory Problems

  • Do you struggle to hear in your classes or in your work setting? Do you think your child may have a hearing loss? At the Indiana University of Pennsylvania (IUP) Speech, Language, and Hearing Clinic, we can assist you with determining if you or your child are affected.

    Identification of Hearing Loss

    Our clinicians use diagnostic testing techniques to determine the degree and type of hearing loss in people of all ages. Also, they can help you to determine if you or your loved one should go to a local audiologist who dispenses hearing aids and other assistive listening devices.

    Hearing and Auditory Disorders

    Our clinicians use the following techniques to assist with identification of hearing loss:

    • Otoscopy
    • Tympanometry
    • Pure-tone threshold searches
      • air-conduction
      • bone-conduction
    • Speech reception thresholds
    • Speech discrimination scores
    • Acoustic reflex testing
    • Visual Reinforcement & Play Audiometry (for young children)

    Hearing Conservation and Preservation

    Our clinicians use OSHA standards to assess hearing and quantify shifts in the range of hearing known to be affected by high noise levels. Counseling about workplace noise exposure is available to IUP employees, school agencies, and individuals within the community.

    (Central) Auditory Processing Evaluations

    Our clinicians use a multidisciplinary approach for assessing and managing children suspected of a (central) auditory processing disorder. We work with the child’s parents, school system, and other referral sources to address auditory concerns and classroom management options.

    Hearing and Auditory Disorders

    What will you learn from a hearing evaluation?

    The clinicians will conduct an audiological evaluation of your hearing across a variety of frequencies and your understanding of speech in quiet and/or noise background situations. If you show a pattern of hearing loss that may be corrected with medical or surgical treatment, the audiologist will refer you to a physician who specializes in diseases of the ear (Otolaryngologist or Ear, Nose, and Throat Physician).

    At the IUP Speech, Language, and Hearing Clinic, we provide screening and treatment for hearing and auditory disorders. Students in training provide services under the direct supervision of certified speech-language pathologists using up-to-date, research-based treatments. Call the clinic for information, 724-357-2451.