Certificate in Preschool Education

Student teacher reading to a young girl in a children's library setting

Receive the training you need to support preschoolers and their families. The 18-credit certificate in preschool education is designed for working professionals, with many courses available to complete online.

Students in this certificate will receive specialized training specifically focused on best practices for working with preschool-age children between the ages of three and six. The classwork includes content and training hours needed for the Child Development Associate credential awarded by the Council for Professional Recognition.

You will be eligible for financial aid, and can easily map the courses taken as part of the certificate to a two- or four-year degree at IUP, including a bachelor's degree in Human Development and Family Science, a BSEd in Early Childhood/Special Education, or a BS in Disability Services.

Certificate Program Courses (18 credits)

In total, the certificate in preschool education requires the completion of 18 classes. Working professionals can complete the certificate fully online by taking the distance education courses marked with an asterisk below.

  • ECED 112 - Child Development: Birth to Age 5*; or
    ECSP 112 - Growth and Development: Typical and Atypical; or
    EDEX 114 - Atypical Development in Infants, Child, and Adolescents;or
    CDFR 218 - Child Development* (3cr)

  • CDFR 310 - Observation and Assessment*; or
    ECSP 340 - Introduction to Classroom and Behavior Management (3cr)

  • CDFR 321 - Preschool Education: Play and Developmentally Appropriate Practice* (3cr)

  • CDFR 322 - Early Care and Education*; or
    CDFR 315 - Intro to Early Intervention*;or
    EDEX 415 - Preschool Education for Children with Disabilities (3cr)

Two Elective courses:

  • ECED 200 Introduction to Early Childhood Education* and/or
  • Any course with the CDFR prefix* (6cr)

Admission Requirements

Applicants to the certificate in preschool education will need a completed high school diploma or GED.