Skip to main content
IUP artmark

Frequently Asked Questions about the Office of International Education for International Students

  • How can I contact someone from my country?

    IUP assists more than 1,000 international students from more than 60 countries. See a list of student contacts and international club websites. If you cannot find your country listed, please contact and we will try to find someone from your country to contact you.

    Here is a list of clubs you may want to contact:

    • Chinese Student Association
    • Indian Student Association
    • Japanese Student Association
    • Korean Student Association
    • Latino Student Association of IUP
    • Malaysian Student Association
    • Muslim Student Association
    • Pan-African Student Association
    • Saudi Student Association
    • Taiwanese Student Association

    When and how do I register for classes?

    How do international students apply?

    International students may apply online through Indiana University of Pennsylvania. See the International Admissions page for details. 

    When can I expect to find out whether I have been admitted?

    Notification of admission varies, but, in general, it takes two to four weeks for a decision to be made after the date your admission application is complete.

    Once an international student is admitted, his/her acceptance letter is sent to the Office of International Education, which mails out all the acceptance packages to international students. These packages include an acceptance letter, immigration document, and orientation information and are mailed by airmail. Students can opt to pay for express mail.

    Earliest dates for acceptance packages to be mailed to international students:

    • Fall enrollment: February
    • Spring enrollment: October
    • Summer enrollment: February

    What do I need to do as an undergraduate international student (student on a non-immigrant visa)?

    What do I need to do as a graduate student?

    What English proficiency test is required for admission to IUP?

    The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), or International English Language Testing System (IELTS), is an application requirement for all students whose native language is not English. Students who have earned a degree from a university in the United States or another English-speaking country may have the English proficiency test waived. Please check with the Admissions Office for TOEFL waivers/exceptions. Students who do not meet the score requirement may apply for provisional admission through the American Language Institute. Provisional admission is available for undergraduate programs and select graduate programs.

    Minimum Scores to Apply for Admission:

    • Paper-based TOEFL test: Undergraduate students: 500; Graduate students: 540 (Select programs have higher requirements.)
    • Internet-based TOEFL test: Undergraduate students: 61; Graduate students: 76 (Select programs have higher requirements.) The institutional code for sending TOEFL results to IUP is 2652.
    • IELTS: Undergraduate Students: 5.5 minimum; Graduate Students: 6.0 (Select programs have higher requirements.)

    For more information, see TOEFL or IELTS.

    How can I improve my English-language skills?

    The American Language Institute (ALI) can provide you with the English skills necessary for academic success. You are encouraged to enroll in ALI if you haven’t acquired the minimum TOEFL score to be admitted to IUP or if you need assistance in improving your language skills. The intensive programs are offered in each semester: fall, spring, and summer. Provisional admission is available through the ALI to undergraduate programs and select graduate programs.

    What is the international student financial statement?

    All prospective international students must show the amount of money covering the cost of two semesters at IUP on their financial statement, as well as to provide a bank statement or letter from their sponsor for the first year at IUP.

    An international student may use the IUP International Student Financial Affidavit as part of their application. Learn more about the costs at the Office of the Bursar.

    About Sponsors

    If an international student has a sponsor—a person willing to support the student while he or she is studying at IUP—then the sponsor must submit a letter indicating his or her willingness to support the student. The sponsor’s financial institution must sign the appropriate section of the IUP Affidavit of Financial support form.

    Is there any financial assistance?

    See information on financial assistance (Partial Tuition Waiver) for international students.

    Are there any on-campus jobs?

    International students may work on campus up to 20 hours a week during the semester and up to 40 hours a week during winter/spring break and summer. To find out about on-campus jobs, go to the Student Employment Center website. F-1/J-1 visa students are only eligible to work in jobs that are non-work study (federal).

    In order to work on campus, international students must have a Social Security number. See procedures for applying for a Social Security number.

    Remember, F-1 students may not work off campus without proper authorization from the Office of International Education or the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

    What is SEVIS for?

    SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) is the system used to create and update immigration records for students and exchange visitors. For more information, see Study in the States.

    How do I obtain an F-1 student visa?

    You should apply for a visa at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate in your home country using the admission letter and I-20 from the Office of International Education.

    How do I obtain a J-1 student visa?

    You should apply for a visa at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate in your home country using the admission letter and DS-2019 from the Office of International Education.

    Can I get some basic information about IUP?

    See about IUP on the website.

    What do I need to know about America?