IUP received the following gifts and pledges of $25,000 or more, made to the Foundation for IUP between March 1 and May 31. The university community thanks
all who invest in IUP and its students.
Software Gift Offers a Unique Edge
Students enrolled in programs in the IUP Geoscience Department now have the opportunity to use specialized software, thanks to LMKR, an international petroleum technology company, which has provided IUP with its GeoGraphix and GVERSE platform. The software is valued at $2.8 million.
“The software will give our students hands-on experience with a tool they can expect to see when they enter the workforce. IUP is the only university in the northeastern United States to be able to provide this opportunity,” said Steven Hovan, Geoscience
Department chair. “Oil and gas exploration requires an understanding of interactions between a wide range of complex variables. LMKR’s GeoGraphix and GVERSE platform give us the tools to manage this data to assure that geologists make accurate decisions
and mitigate risks associated with exploration and development.”
LMKR became aware of the department’s need for software through Patrick Imbrogno ’78, Pittsburgh-area geologist and owner of GEO-COM, LLC. He also is a member of the Environmental Engineering Advisory Board and the Athletics Advancement
“Pat has been a great friend to our department,” Hovan said, “and we are most grateful that LMKR has given our students this excellent opportunity, which distinguishes our program from so many others.”
Shoulders for Others
John Kopchick ’72, M’75 and Char Labay Kopchick ’73 committed $23 million in support of initiatives in the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics.
Please refer to the article announcing the Imagine Unlimited campaign and to “Shoulders for Others.”
Providing a Jump-start
Tim Cejka ’73 and Debra Phillips Cejka ’73 committed $2 million in support of the Natural Sciences and Mathematics Building Fund. This gift, as well as their previous support of $5 million, has served as a jump-start
to the Imagine Unlimited comprehensive campaign. Please refer to the article announcing the Imagine Unlimited campaign.
The IUP community is also grateful for the generous support of the following donors:
- The Estate of Nancy Newkerk, in excess of $165,000 to the Fund for IUP, which supports the university’s greatest need
- Joseph Manzinger ’81 and Cheri Manzinger, $100,000 to establish a scholarship to support students in Eberly College of Business and Information Technology
- Nellie Byers Reynolds ’48, $28,872 in support of general scholarships
- The Pennsylvania State Police’s Memorial Fund for Trooper Michael P. Stewart, $25,750 to establish a scholarship in memory of Stewart, a 2012 graduate, and in support of students in the Department of Criminology and Criminal Justice
- Daniel Griffith ’70, M’72 and Diane Griffith, $25,000 in support of the Richard Dale and Mary Emma Swartz Summer Sports Camp Enhancement Fund
- Elaine Reschini Judge ’64, M’66, $25,000 to establish a scholarship in memory of Larry Judge ’64 for students enrolled in the Department of Journalism and Public Relations
- Joseph Kovaleski and Susan Kovaleski, $25,000 to establish a scholarship in support of students in the College of Education and Communications