What are the admission requirements to become a nutrition major?

Transfer Students

  • Minimum GPA of 3.0
  • Earn a “C” or better in one of the following courses (or the equivalent) prior to admission to IUP: CHEM 101 or 111; BIOL 150 or 240

Change of Major from Another IUP Major

  • Minimum GPA of 3.0
  • Grade of “C” or higher in CHEM 101 (or 111) and CHEM 102 (or 112)
  • Grade of “C” or higher in one course equivalent to or higher than IUP courses BIOL 104, BIOL 105, BIOL 150, or BIOL 155
  • Students who wish to major in the Dietetics track, but do not meet these requirements, may be admitted to the Nutrition Track and change their major to the Dietetics Track when the conditions listed above are met.

Change of Major from Nutrition Track to Dietetics Track

  • Minimum GPA of 3.0
  • Grade of “C” or higher in FDNT 110, 150, 151, CHEM 101 (or 111), and CHEM 102 (or 112)

What is the format of the classes offered by the Department of Food and Nutrition?

During the fall and spring semesters, the majority of nutrition courses are offered in-person, with some online courses. Summer and winter sessions courses are typically offered online. Class sizes range from 8 - 45 for major classes. We emphasize practical application of food and nutrition concepts by engaging students in active learning through laboratory, simulation and other hands-on experiences.

Is is possible to pursue second major with your degree curriculum? What other majors complement a nutrition degree?

Students in the nutrition or dietetics track are encouraged to consider a second major (or minor). The additional coursework may require dietetics students to stay for additional semester(s). Nutrition track students have available credits to accommodate a second major within degree requirements. Here is a list of possible majors that complement a nutrition degree:

  • Exercise Science, Physical Education and Sport
  • Community Health Education, Health and Physical Education, BSED
  • Family and Consumer Sciences Education, BSED
  • Human Development and Family Science
  • Public Health
  • Natural Sciences, such as Chemistry
  • Political Science
  • Communications Media

Can a student add a minor? What minors complement a nutrition degree?

Any nutrition student can add a minor to allow them to be more competitive after graduation. Here is a list of a few possible minors: 

  • Psychology
  • Chemistry
  • Sustainabilty Studies
  • Global Health
  • Hospitality Management
  • Restaurant and Food Service Management
  • Exercise Science 
  • Human Development and Family Science
  • Community Health
  • Professional Teamwork and Leadership
  • Political Science
  • International Studies

Is there an undergraduate internship requirement for the major? Where do students usually gain that experience?

For nutrition track students, there is a 3 credit undergraduate internship requirement (equals 120 hours). Students typically do the undergraduate internship the summer after their sophomore or junior year. Undergraduate food and nutrition internships may be found in settings to include hospitals, nursing homes, food service, schools, camps and, community organizations.

What type of volunteer work or outside work experience is recommended for nutrition students to be competitive after graduation?

In order for a student to be more competitive after graduation, it is recommended that students obtain professional experiences and leadership opportunities during their time as an undergraduate. 

  1. Most supervised practice directors are looking for individual whose work or volunteer expedience contributes to personal growth, is people-oriented, and/or involves responsibility and decision-making. Examples of professional experiences (paid or volunteer) include:
    • working with hospital dietitian
    • dietary-related experiences such as college or camp food service and weight management camp
    • long-term care food service
    • catering operations
    • community nutrition programs
  2. Extra-curricular activates such college, university (e.g. SAND), sports, community service projects, and student-teacher projects/ research
  3. Become an officer or volunteer in campus or non-campus organizations. The ability to lead a group and work as an effective team member are highly-valued attributes. 


What job opportunities are available to students who graduate with a nutrition degree? What jobs are easily attainable to recent graduates? What is the job outlook in this field?

There are many opportunities open to students who graduate with a Bachelor of Science in Nutrition. Some careers may require one to be credentialed as a Registered Dietitian, others may now. Here is a list of potential careers. Ar

Armed Forces Dietitian Food Product Developer Food Buyer/ Distributor
Extension Nutrition Educator Pharmaceutical Representative Menu Planner
Chef Public Health Nutritionist Food Photographer
Clinical Trial Coordinator Food Demonstrator Entrepreneur
Community Nutritionist Recipe Developer Nutrition Educator
Sports Nutritionist Grocery Store Nutritionist Food Service Director
Diabetes Educator Teacher/ Professor Freelance Writer
Research Nutritionist Consultant dietitian Health Inspector
Food Product Marketing Specialist Medical Nutrition Therapy dietitian Restaurant Chain Manager
Health Insurance Specialist Family & Consumer Science Teacher Consumer Educator/ Advocate
Equipment Demonstrator Administrative Dietitian Clinical Dietitian
Certified Dietary Manager, Certified Food Protection Professional WIC Nutritionist Health and Wellness Coach

What if a student would like to combine a nutrition degree with other career goals?

Having a Bachelor of Science in Nutrition is a stepping stone to a variety of other professional. Most will require more education either at the undergraduate or graduate level. Here is a list of potential careers: 

Author (books, magazine articles, nutrition education materials) Botanical Medical Practitioner Business Administrator
Chiropractor Nurse Exercise Physiologist
Physician, Physician's Assistant Clinical Informatics Professional Federal Government/ Survey technical or Inspector
Food Product Developer, Tester, Advertiser, Wholesaler, or Retailer Food Service/ Hospitality Management Caterer or Healthy Cooking Instructor
K-12 Teacher (health, science, math, consumer sciences) Physical Therapist Occupational Therapist
Pharmaceutical Sales Nutrition Counselor, Comerica Weight Loss Program Public Health Educator

What is the average entry-level salary for recent graduates?

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Employment Statistics, The medium annual wage for dietitians and nutritionists was $60,270 in May 2018. The median wage is the wage at which half the workers in an occupation earned more than that amount and half earned less. The lowest 10% earned less than $38,460, and the highest 10% earned more than $84, 610. 

In May 2018, the median annual wags for dietitians and nutritionist in the top industries in which they worked were as follows:

  • Outpatient care centers: $66,420
  • Hospitals (state, local and private): 61, 390
  • Government: 59,600
  • Nursing and residential care facilities: 58,310

What is the daily life of a professional in this field?

The Department of Food and Nutrition has collected many alumni stories that are featured in the  A Day in the Life series. Their stories will provide you a glimpse of a typical day for professionals in a variety of careers.

How do undergraduate students take graduate-level courses?

You can do this by completing the Undergraduate Application for Graduate Coursework form. The policy states: “IUP undergraduate students with an academic grade point average of at least 2.6 who are within 32 semester hours of graduation are permitted, after receiving appropriate approvals, to take up to six semester hours of graduate work whether or not they have applied for acceptance into an IUP graduate program.

“Graduate hours so earned have no necessary bearing upon the meeting of undergraduate degree requirements, and no assurance is given or implied as to their later applicability toward graduate degrees should the students be admitted to IUP graduate programs. Should these credits later be approved toward a graduate degree program, they will be treated as transfer credits.”  

Note: Graduate credits earned and applied toward an undergraduate degree cannot also be applied toward a graduate degree.

As an undergraduate student, can I take classes now that will count toward a Master of Science in Food and Nutrition?

Yes! IUP’s Early Admission program is designed for highly motivated and successful IUP undergraduates who wish to continue their studies in a graduate program at the university.

Applicants must have at least a 3.25 GPA to be considered for early admission, and must have completed at least 15 credit hours in their undergraduate major. More information is available at Early Admission to Graduate Programs.

How do I apply for graduation?

Students apply for graduation online using MyIUP.


What are the prerequisites for a nutrition track student to change to the dietetics track?

  • Minimum GPA of 3.0
  • Grades of "C" or better in FDNT 110, 150, 151, CHEM 101 (or 111), and CHEM 102 (or 112)
  • If you meet these requirements, meet your adviser to complete the next steps

What if I think that I have received an unfair grade in a course? How can I get it changed?

  • Schedule an appointment with the instructor to see if a calculation error occur.
  • If so, a change of grade form is completed by the instructor of the course for a change in grade, to add an omitted grade, or to change an incomplete grade.
  • Changes must be completed within 180 days of issuance of the original grade.
  • The student should monitor degree works to see that the grade is changed.
  • If the instructor indicates that the grade is accurate, students have the option of filing a grade appeal, following the university’s Grade Appeal Process. The Grade Appeal Policy is printed in the undergraduate catalog.

Can I take more than 17 credits in one semester?

  • Permission is required if a student wishes to schedule more than 17 credits.
  • Application form is available in the department office.
  • Application must be reviewed and approved by the student’s advisor and the associate dean.
  • Application must be taken to the Scheduling Center prior to registration. At late registration, the form is presented to the terminal operator.

What is the process for course withdrawal?

  • The computer registration system is used to for individual course withdrawals from an enrolled class after the deadline for drop/add has passed until the end of the first two-thirds of the academic term. See the Academic Calendar for deadline.
  • Students should discuss withdrawal from a course with their adviser to understand the implications on their academic planning.
  • Policies regarding course withdrawal and refunds can be found through the Office of Student Billing. As a courtesy, please notify the instructor via e-mail.

What is the process involved to repeat a course?

  • No forms are needed to repeat a course. The repeat will be applied automatically.
  • To replace a D or F earned in an IUP course, the course must be repeated at IUP. A grade from a similar course from another institution will not replace an IUP earned grade.
  • Only six repeat-with-replacement attempts are permitted for coursework taken through a student’s first bachelor’s degree. A single course can be repeated a maximum of two times.  
  • If a course is repeated at another institution, the grade earned at IUP will not be replaced, but the credits from the other institution will be accepted to meet graduation requirements. However, if the original IUP grade was a D, only those credits will count toward the 120 required for graduation and the IUP grade will remain a D on the transcript.

IUP Student Handbook

For information on academic policies, affirmative action, campus regulations, the IUP judicial system, sexual harassment policy, Indiana Borough and state laws, and more, see the Source, the IUP student handbook.