Understanding Transfer Services

  • Bill Sands
    Assistant Director of Admissions and Coordinator of Transfer Services
    724-357-4839, wsands@iup.edu 

    Lori Roles
    Assistant Director of Admissions and Coordinator of Transfer Outreach
    724-357-4897, lroles@iup.edu

    New Transfer Students

    Transfer students receive an evaluation of their transfer credits after they are admitted. On an evaluation, the courses at their previous institution are on the left and the IUP courses are on the right.

    Some Things to Note

    A course designated as an “XX” class means we do not have an exact equivalent at IUP. The number preceding the “XX” refers to the level of the class. Classes that transfer, but which do not fit our Liberal Studies format exactly, may be petitioned by the department to Dr. Mary Sadler for approval. For example, a student may have taken a Philosophy class that did not come in as one of our Philosophy classes that count toward the Liberal Studies requirement. It may have transferred in as PHIL 1XX. The department may feel the student has met the requirement and may use the Petition of Liberal Studies form to determine if the request would be granted.

    Preapproval of Credit

    If a student wants to take a class elsewhere, the student should apply for pre-approval to transfer those credits. This is a written guarantee for the student that the class(es) that will be taken will transfer as he or she needs them to. 

    The process works like this:

    1. The student fills out the form online.
    2. Equivalencies are determined by personnel in the Office of Transfer Services.
    3. The student must have the college or university they attended send an official transcript to: 

      Indiana University of Pennsylvania
      Office of Admissions/Transfer Services
      117 Sutton Hall
      1011 South Drive
      Indiana, PA 15705

    Other Important Notes to Mention

    1. Liberal Studies transfer work more than ten years old is transferable. (The lone exception is COSC 101.) Major credit can be awarded at the discretion of the department. We tell students that the department is under no obligation to take major credit more than ten years old.
    2. If a school is not regionally accredited by Middle States or one of the other regional agencies, the credit is not transferable. The college may choose to accept limited credit at their discretion after review of syllabi. If courses are approved there is a proper paperwork procedure that is followed to document the cases.

    Articulation Agreements

    What are they?

    Articulation agreements are transfer agreements between academic institutions. Usually this means between community colleges and four-year schools.

    Agreements are usually started at the department level with the dean’s approval. The department contacts the Transfer Office to discuss particulars about a possible agreement, usually after having discussions with the school with which they want an agreement. The transfer coordinator checks for the proper equivalence and how the classes will transfer between institutions.

    The transfer coordinator discusses agreements with transfer counselors at the community college. The department at IUP also discusses issues with their counterparts at the community college as they arise. Once a document is ready to be signed, a meeting is arranged for that purpose.

    Who do we have agreements with?

    We have a number of agreements, but the most common schools we have been dealing with lately are:

    • Community College of Allegheny County
    • Westmoreland County Community College
    • Butler County Community College
    • Community College of Beaver County
    • Pennsylvania Highlands Community College

    What this means for students:

    Basically, the agreements guarantee that the credit the student takes at the community college will transfer directly into the program at IUP. The classes the student takes at the community college are equivalent to the required courses at IUP.

    PA TRAC – What is it?

    • A system put in place by state legislation
    • Created to help guarantee seamless transfer of at least 30 credits between participating schools (PASSHE schools, Pennsylvania community colleges, Saint Francis PA, Seton Hill, Lackawanna Community College, Lincoln University, Pennsylvania College of Technology)
    • If a course is part of PA TRAC, a number will be placed on the credit evaluation under the TRAC column
    • We are obligated to count these credits toward graduation unless accreditation issues dictate otherwise

    PA TRAC – Framework

    • Category 1 – College Composition (ENGL 101) - 3 credits
    • Category 2 – Public Speaking (ENGL 310) – 3 credits
    • Category 3 – Math – 3-4 credits
    • Category 4 – Science (Labs only)– 8 credits
    • Category 5 – Humanities/Social Sciences – 6 credits
    • Category 6 – Humanities/Social Sciences – 6 credits

    More information on PA TRAC

    Post-Baccalaureate Students

    • Please note that the 90 credits awarded for all Post-Baccalaureate students meets Liberal Studies requirements (other than those specifically needed by the major)
    • ENGL 101, ENGL 202, ENGL 121, Philosophy/religious Studies and Fine Arts should never be taken by a Post-Baccalaureate student.

    For additional information on Transfer Services, please visit IUP Admissions.