Skip to main content
IUP artmark


  • Why was I called as a witness for a hearing?

    Either you have stated that you were a witness, or someone involved with the incident (referring party, the accused student, CA, A/G/RD, etc.) has indicated that you have direct knowledge pertaining to the case. If you feel you have no information to provide, contact the referring party that is named in your hearing notification letter to discuss your concerns.

    As a witness, do I have to appear at the hearing?

    Yes. You have been identified as a witness to a violation of university policy. As a student, you are obligated to provide information you have concerning any incident that results in a hearing. If you fail to appear at the hearing, you may be found “in violation” of C-10 Non-Compliance. The only exception is if you were allegedly physically victimized in the situation. In this case the university will not force you to attend.

    As a witness, who will be present when I speak at the hearing?

    An administrative hearing consists of the hearing officer, referring party, and accused student(s). A student conduct board hearing consists of the chairperson and four to six board members. Also present are the referring party and the accused student(s). Advisors for the accused student, witnesses, and alleged survivor of violence may also be present.

    Is a university hearing like a court hearing?

    No. A university student conduct hearing is less formal and you will not be sworn in as in a court hearing. In this hearing, you will be asked to tell what you saw or heard truthfully and to the best of your ability to remember.

    How long will the hearing last?

    The length of a hearing depends on several factors such as complexity of the case, number of questions, and the number of people involved. We recommend that you bring something to do during the time you are waiting.

    Do I have to answer all the questions at a hearing?

    As a witness, you should be honest in answering all questions. If there is a reason that you do not want to respond to a particular question, discuss the issue with the chairperson/hearing officer.

    What if I lose the hearing notice?

    Contact the Office of Student Conduct (724-357-1264), or stop by Ruddock Hall, Suite G11. The office secretary will be able to give you the time, date, and location of the hearing.

    What should I do if I am harassed by someone about the hearing?

    If you are harassed or threatened at any time, contact the University Police (724-357-2141) immediately for assistance.

    How can I get involved in the student conduct system in a positive manner?

    If you do not have a disciplinary record, you may get involved with the student conduct system at IUP by becoming a member of the student conduct board. Contact the Office of Student Conduct for more information.