Professional Outcomes for Student Affairs in Higher Education

Henry W. Lewis III at his desk IUP'S STUDENT AFFAIRS TRAINING HELPED HIM WIN THE JOB — Henry W. Lewis III '14, MA in Student Affairs in Higher Education (SAHE), is now an academic advisor/instructor at Virginia Commonwealth University. “The interview I had for my current position went so well because I had learned in the SAHE program how to be critical about research, theory, and practice in higher education, which was much of what the interview required.”

Blend Academic Excellence With Real-World Experiences

With your SAHE degree from IUP, you will have the skills to guide evolving student populations with a broad range of theoretical knowledge, techniques, and behavioral insights. Your contribution to the student affairs in higher education profession plays an important role in shaping students' lives as they prepare for their own careers.


With a Student Affairs in Higher Education degree, you will apply your skills at colleges, universities, and professional schools. Your jobs could include:

  • Orientation counselor
  • Admissions counselor
  • Minority affairs coordinator
  • Pre-health academic advisor
  • Coordinator of chapter services
  • Assistant director of residence life
  • Resident director
  • Residence hall director
  • Assistant director of student engagement
  • Area coordinator
  • Student life coordinator
  • Culinary admissions counselor
  • Student development specialist
  • International specialist
  • Coordinator of women's leadership
  • Coordinator of academic and career success center

While many of these positions are entry level, our alumni are well prepared to move on to leadership positions.