Do you have a question about an academic or administrative matter in the Kopchick College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics? You have come to the right place. Note that Daniel Burkett, dean’s associate, is responsible for most matters related to student academic affairs in the college.

If you have a question about a specific department or program, please check the web page of that program.

Can I return to IUP?

If you have taken time off voluntarily from IUP and you were in good academic standing (above a 2.0 GPA) you just need to fill out an application for readmission with the Registrar. That office will check that you are in good standing and reactivate you. If your GPA was below a 2.0, you still can apply for readmission, but your application will be forwarded to the dean’s associate for review. Depending on your academic situation, the dean’s associate may approve your application, or recommend additional remediation. Forms can be found on the Registrar's website under the “Forms” link.

Can I get into a class?

If a section of a course if open and you meet the prerequisites, you can register using MyIUP as usual. The Dean's Office cannot override closed sections without the permission of the instructor and the department chairperson. If a section of a course is closed, you should go to the department in which it is offered. If a section appears to be open, but you are getting a PREREQ TEST SCORE error, you have not met the prerequisites for the course. If you feel you are getting this message in error, again, speak to the chairperson of the department offering the course to discuss your qualifications for the course.

Can I get out of a class?

During the first week, you can use MyIUP to adjust your schedule through the regular drop/add process. After the first week, you need the permission of the dean's associate to drop a class. This is only granted under extenuating circumstances. Typically, after the first week until the two-thirds mark in the semester, you can withdraw from a class using MyIUP. Withdrawing after two-thirds of the semester is not permitted except in the cases of documented medical or psychological emergency or other catastrophic occurrence. Permission must be obtained from the dean's associate.

In any case, you should check with your academic advisor before withdrawing from a class to discuss the consequences. If the course is a prerequisite for others, withdrawing will delay your ability to take later courses. If the withdrawal drops you to part-time status, it may adversely affect your eligibility for financial aid, athletics, and health insurance.

Can I get out of all of my classes?

Up until the two-thirds point in the semester, students may do a total university withdrawal. You should first discuss this with your academic advisor. If such a move is advised, you can process a total university withdrawal through the Department for Disability Access and Advising in 216 Pratt Hall.

Total university withdrawal after two thirds of the semester is not permitted except in the cases of documented medical or psychological emergency or other catastrophic occurrence. Permission must be obtained from the dean's associate.

Can I get out of a requirement for my degree?

In a word, "no."

However, exceptions, exemptions, and substitutions are handled differently depending on the level of the requirement. Students must complete 120 credits for their degree. There are no exceptions to this. If you believe you have a valid reason for an exception to a Liberal Studies requirement, you can fill out the Petition for an Exception to a Liberal Studies Requirement form available in the Dean's Office. Your advisor and your chairperson sign it signifying approval and then the form is forwarded to the Liberal Studies committee for consideration. If it is approved, the form goes to your dean's associate and is recorded in your file for graduation.

An exception to the Foreign Language requirement is very rarely given and then only with a reasonable substitution. This must be handled through the dean's associate. Approval is required from your advisor and chairperson as well.

Exceptions or substitutions to courses required only within the major are handled by the department. You should contact your advisor. Approval is required by your advisor, chairperson, and ultimately the dean's associate. Any exception or substitution must be in writing and included with your paper graduation application.

Can I take a class elsewhere and transfer it to IUP?

In most cases, the answer is yes. To transfer a class you should first get a pre-approval form from the Dean's Office or the Admissions Office. You list the courses you wish to take at another institution and they will be evaluated ahead of time to tell you what courses you will get credit for at IUP. It is very important that you do this ahead of time so that you do not take the wrong course or take a course and later find out IUP will not accept it.

There are a few things to keep in mind with transfer credits. First, the grade does NOT transfer. So, if you are trying to raise your GPA or repeat a course, transfer credits will do no good. They cannot be used to replace a grade for a D/F repeat. In fact, IUP will not accept transfer credits for courses in which you already have a grade of D or better. Also, only courses with grades of C or better will transfer. Finally, IUP has a residency requirement that states the last 30 credits of your degree must be IUP credits. You must receive a waiver if you are transferring in credits in your final year.

How and when do I apply for graduation?

The process and deadlines for applying on line for graduation can be found on the Commencement website. In addition to applying online, you must file a paper application with the Dean’s Office. Once you have applied, the application is forwarded to your advisor to verify you have met the requirements. Do not forget that you must also make application for any minors you are completing. Those applications should be made with the department granting the minor. If you have been granted any waivers or substitutions, you should include copies of these documents with your paper application.

I thought I was going to be able to graduate, but now I have to wait because I haven't met all my requirements. What do I need to do?

You will need to go to the Office of the Dean and let the secretary know you are postponing graduation. You will then be removed from the graduation list. You must reapply for the new graduation date, whenever that will be.

Can I do a double major? What is a dual degree?

In a nutshell, a double major is completed by fulfilling all of the requirements of the two degrees within 120 credits. One diploma is granted with both degrees listed. A dual degree is completed by fulfilling all of the requirements of both degrees and at least 30 credits beyond the requirement of a single degree; i.e., at least 150 credits. Two diplomas are awarded. The exact requirements can be found in the Undergraduate Catalog.

Can I take more than the maximum 17.99 credits?

Yes, provided you have legitimate academic reasons for doing so. You need to fill out the Application for Excess Academic Load form available in the dean's office and have your advisor sign it. It then goes to the dean's associate for approval. There are minimum GPA requirements; you should have at least a 2.5 GPA to attempt 18 credits.

Can I repeat the course?

Yes, you are entitled to repeat six courses in which you received a D or an F. You will need to fill out a D/F Course Repeat form, available in most department offices, and have it signed by your advisor. You then take the form to the Registrar's Office. This form should be filed within the first few weeks of the semester you are retaking the class. They can be filed after the fact, but you will then need permission of the dean's associate. The old grade remains on your transcript, but is no longer used to calculate your GPA.

How do I change my major or add a second major?

You will need to fill out an Application for a Change of Major or Addition of Secondary Major form, available in the Dean’s Office of the college in which the new major is offered. In the case of adding a secondary major, you will need to go to the office of your current college to pick up the form. In most cases you must have at least a 2.0 GPA to change your major. There are, however several majors that have higher requirements. For example, all education majors are required to maintain a 3.0 GPA.