IUP Home | A–Z Index | Apply Now | Support IUP | News and Events | Find People |

IUP By the Numbers

 

Preserve, Conserve, Use

Two years ago, thanks to a $200,000 Getty Foundation grant, IUP became one of four regional universities included in Pittsburgh History and Landmarks Foundation’s second Western Pennsylvania Campus Heritage Study. In company with California, Seton Hill, and Washington & Jefferson, IUP welcomed PHLF study teams to campus.

The outcome of the study was a plan, unveiled early this past summer, which addressed the preservation, conservation, and continued use of the historic landscape and buildings of IUP. Attention was concentrated on the oldest buildings in the oldest part of the campus: Sutton, Clark, Waller, Fisher, Wilson, McElhaney, Leonard, Keith, Breezedale, Whitmyre, and Uhler.

Readers can find the entire hundred-page PDF report, lavishly illustrated, at the IUP Libraries Special Collections and Archives site: (Scroll down to Preservation Plan of Indiana University of Pennsylvania, 2009. Warning: It’s easy to be waylaid by a variety of interesting links listed here.)

In general, the report gave the university high marks: “The historic buildings of Indiana University of Pennsylvania have been sensitively maintained with past alterations and additions, which have generally respected the historic character of each building. The university’s oldest structures, Breezedale and John Sutton Hall, have been preserved with almost all of their original historic character intact.”

Then and Now

A construction chronology provides an idea of just how historic the campus’s landmarks are.

Click any image for a larger version.

1868: Breezedale (purchased by ISTC, 1947)

Breezedale Then
Breezedale Now

1875: John Sutton Hall (In 1903, Thomas Sutton Hall and an extension to John Sutton Hall were constructed. They were demolished in 1975)

Sutton Hall Then
Sutton Hall Now

1875: John Sutton Hall (rear)

Sutton Hall Then
Sutton Hall Now

1894: Wilson Hall, constructed as the campus’s Model School

Wilson Hall Then
Wilson Hall Now

1906: Clark Hall (original 1894 building burned in 1905)

Clark Hall Then
Clark Hall Now

about 1920: Uhler Hall (purchased by ISTC, 1963)

Uhler Hall Then
Uhler Hall Now

1927: Gymnasium (now Waller Hall)

Waller Hall Then
Waller Hall Now

1931: McElhaney Hall

McElhaney Then
McElhaney Now

1939: Fisher Auditorium

Fisher Then
Fisher Now

1939: Keith School (now Keith Hall)

Keith Hall Then
Keith Hall Now

1951: Whitmyre Hall

Whitmyre Hall Then
Whitmyre Hall Now

1953: Leonard Hall (original 1903 building burned in 1952)

Leonard Hall Then
Leonard Hall Now