Journalism classes at IUP began in the English Department.
These first Journalism courses date back to 1959. The two main influential men involved in creating the department were Dr. David Truby and Dr. Craig Swauger.
The big step toward acquiring a journalism department started in 1973, when English majors could get a concentration in Journalism. Four years later, a full Journalism major started under the English Department. The final step to establish the department was waiting for administration to decide what time would be appropriate for Journalism to separate from the English Department. That time finally came, and the Journalism Department flourished into what it is today.
Source: The Indiana Gazette
Fraud, Waste, and Abuse Hotline
© 2007–17 Indiana University of Pennsylvania
1011 South Drive, Indiana, Pa. 15705 | 724-357-2100