Skip to main content
IUP artmark

Transfer to Another University

  • As an F-1 or J-1 visa holder, your immigration record in SEVIS is under IUP’s control as long as you are in status.

    Once you graduate, or complete Optional Practical Training, you have a 60-day grace period in which you are still in status and can transfer to and begin another program. Although you are beginning a new program, you still need to get IUP’s international office to transfer your immigration record in SEVIS to the new school.

    Note: Your record can only be transferred once. Please decide which school you will attend before asking our office to complete a transfer form.

    Student Checklist

    • Make sure you have a zero balance with IUP.
    • Get accepted to a new school.
    • Submit a transfer form for one school to the Office of International Education with a letter of admission.
    • The transfer form for new school will be completed and faxed/mailed directly to the new school. The form will not be given back to the student.

    Office of International Education Checklist

    • Verify legal status at IUP.
    • Verify no money is owed to IUP.
    • If everything is in order, then:
      • Student’s SEVIS record will be transferred to the new school at the end of the semester or immediately if student has completed IUP program.
      • An I-20 will be issued by new school once it has accessed student’s file (day after SEVIS release date from IUP).
      • The new I-20 will read, “Transfer pending from: Indiana University of Pennsylvania.” Don’t worry! You have been transferred to your new school. Once activated and registered by your new school during orientation, your I-20 and SEVIS record will then read, “Continued attendance at this school.”