Skip to main content
IUP artmark

Apply for a U.S. Visa

  • Step 1: Pay the SEVIS Fee

    All accepted international students and scholars applying for an F or J visa will become part of the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) when an I-20 or DS-2019 is created for you. SEVIS is a national tracking/monitoring system that will allow the U.S. government to monitor and track various events during your program of study. Indiana University of Pennsylvania’s Office of International Education handles all SEVIS records for all international students and scholars. We are required to report your U.S.A. address, registration of classes, and any changes within your program at IUP. For more information, see Study in the States.

    As of September 1, 2004, all F, M, and J visa applicants must complete Form I-901 and pay a SEVIS fee, $200 for F Visa and $180 for J Visa, to the Department of Homeland Security before applying for a new visa. Take the receipt to your interview. Dependents and spouses are not required to pay. The purpose of the fee is to cover the costs of administering and maintaining SEVIS. If you have questions, please visit the Student and Exchange Visitor Program fee processing website for information on the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement website; call (from overseas) 011+ 785-330-1048; or e-mail

    Apply for a U.S. Visa

  • Step 2: Make a Visa Appointment

    Plan as well in advance as possible. Contact your local embassy or consulate for an appointment. To find your closest U.S. Embassy, go to the list of embassies on the U.S. Department of State website. Visit your embassy or consulate’s website for specific application procedures. IUP does not have any power to influence your consular officials, so please do not ask us to call or fax letters to your consulate or embassy. Please use the IUP letters in your acceptance packet. Canadian citizens are not required to obtain a student visa in their passport: they can obtain F-1 status by entering the U.S. with appropriate documents.

    As a student, you will be applying for an F-1 (I-20) or J-1 (DS-2019) visa. U.S. law states that F and J visas are given to persons who intend to remain in the U.S. temporarily and their primary purpose is for academics. 

    What you will need to obtain a student visa:

    • I-20 or DS-2019
    • SEVIS I-901 Fee Receipt
    • Online Non-Immigrant Visa Application DS-160
      See your embassy website for more details and exceptions. Electronically submitting your DS-160 online application is only the first step in the visa application process. Once you have electronically submitted your DS-160 online application, you must contact the embassy or consulate at which you wish to apply to confirm whether you need to be interviewed by a consular office and to schedule an interview. 
    • Visa fee $160
    • One passport photo (2" x 2")
    • Valid passport
    • Financial support letters and bank statements
    • IUP acceptance letter
    • Other documents are required by U.S. Embassy or Consulate (TOEFL, GMAT, GRE scores, or transcripts from previous institutions)
  • Visa Interview Tips

    • Show all document listed above.
    • Be prepared to explain that you intend to return to your country and only remain in the U.S. temporarily.
    • Use documents from a family business, property, or bank statement to show ties to your country. Showing ties in the U.S. is not helpful.
    • Be prepared to explain your academic goals and planned course of study and why it is important for you to study in the U.S. as opposed to your country. Bring copies or official scores from standardized tests required for admission and transcripts from previous institutions. If you will be returning to a job in your country, a letter from your place of work would be helpful.
    • Be prepared to explain how you will be financially supported while in the U.S with documentation. You are required to show financial proof when applying to IUP. You should be able to show bank statements or letters from sponsors that match information on your I-20 or DS-2019. Bring deeds, tax returns, pay stubs—the more documents showing financial support, the better.
    • If your family is applying for F-2 visas, you will be asked to show proof of relationship to his/her spouse and/or children. It is preferable that families apply for visas at the same time.
    • 10 Points to Remember When Applying for a Non-immigrant Visa


    If you have an F-1 or J-1 visa and have dependents who will accompany you to IUP:

    • Please e-mail or fax a copy of their passports, including: family name, first name, date of birth, country of birth, and relationship to you. Send this information to or fax 724-357-2514 so we may issue an I-20/DS-2019 for dependents.
    • Additional costs must be included on your I-20/DS-2019. The amounts for a nine-month period is $5,000 for spouse and $3,000 for each child. You will need to provide documentation for these additional funds if your current financial statement doesn't include this.
    • Please be sure to bring with you to IUP the English translation of the following documents for each child, or your child will have difficulty enrolling in school:
      • Birth certificate
      • Immunization records

    Visa Approval or Denial

    You may check your visa application status by going to Visa Application Status Tracker.


    If your visa is denied, you can apply again within the same year. If you decide to defer until the next semester, notify the Office of International Education in writing as soon as possible. Your SEVIS fee is valid for twelve months.


    Please make plans for your housing and transportation.

  • Transfer Students from Within the U.S.

    Students who are in F-1 or J-1 status coming to IUP from any school in the U.S. (high school, university, English language school) are considered transfer students for immigration purposes. All transfers, both F-1 and J-1, will need to work with their previous school or program sponsor within 60 days (F-1) or 30 days (J-1) of finishing at their former school to determine a SEVIS transfer release date. Students must complete IUP's SEVIS Trasnfer from which will be emailed to the student after admission to IUP. Our office will contact you to get your documents to you as soon as possible. Transfer students are not required to pay the SEVIS fee and do not need a new visa if their current visa is valid. Students should use their IUP I-20 to re-enter the U.S.

  • For additional information: