Before You Arrive

  • Receive Admissions and Immigration Documents

    All admission letters for international students are sent to the Office of International Education. Our office will then create an immigration document (I-20 or DS-2019) and email an admissions packet, which includes an I-20 or DS-2019, IUP Admission letter, Immunization and Health History forms, and an International Student Orientation letter. Students who wish to receive original documents can pay for express mail through the UEMS site listed below. 

    Undergraduate students must pay the $150 tuition deposit in order to receive your full admission packet. Please see your undergraduate admission email from the Admission Office for more details on how to pay your deposit.

    ALI and ALI provisional students will receive their packets from the American Language Institute

    Please Note: International Education begins sending admission packets in February for students admitted for the fall and summer semesters; it begins mailing packets in October for students admitted for the spring semester. 

  • Visa immigration documentApply for a US Visa

    International students coming to the United States for study will need to apply for the appropriate visa before being permitted to enter the country. As a student, you will be applying for an F-1 (I-20) or a J-1 (DS-2019) visa. US law states that F and J visas are given to those who intend to remain in the US temporarily, and their primary purpose is for academics.

  • Defer Admission

    All newly admitted international students who are unable to report to IUP by the scheduled start date have two options.

    Option One: Withdraw their admission to IUP.

    Option Two: Defer their admission to the next academic semester.

    Students can defer up to one full calendar year before needing to submit a new application, financial statement, and application fee. However, some graduate programs might require a one-year deferral.

    Students who are in the United States and unable to report to IUP should be in contact with our office immediately to sort out potential immigration issues.

  • Immigration Transfer from Another US Institution

    Students who are in F-1 or J-1 status, coming to IUP from any school in the United States (high school, university, or English language school), are considered transfer students for immigration purposes.

    All transfers, both F-1 and J-1, will need to work with their previous school or program sponsor within 60 days (F-1) or 30 days (J-1) of finishing at their former school to determine a SEVIS transfer release date.

    Students must complete IUP’s SEVIS Transfer form, which will be emailed to the student after admission to IUP. Our office will contact transfer students as soon as their immigration documents have been processed. Transfer students are not required to pay the SEVIS fee and do not need a new visa if their current visa is valid. Students should use their IUP I-20 to re-enter the United States. 

  • Activate Your IUP Network and Email Accounts

    MyIUP is the university portal that allows students to complete a wide variety of university functions, including registering for classes, viewing grades, and reserving housing. In addition, students are provided a university email address that will serve as the official means of communication between faculty, staff, and administration and students. Follow this technology "to do" list to get your semester off to a smooth start.

  • Housing 

    Both on- and off-campus housing is available for students and scholars coming to IUP’s Indiana, Pennsylvania, campus. Graduate students and upper-level undergraduate students typically live off-campus. International students admitted to the IUP Academy of Culinary Arts can discuss housing options with the Culinary Academy. Students admitted to IUP Pittsburgh East can use the links below to look for housing near: 400 Penn Center Boulevard, Building 4, Suite 900, Pittsburgh, PA 15235.

    Undergraduate international students with fewer than 30 credits must live on campus. In addition, all exchange students are required to live in an IUP residence hall. Living on campus makes it easier to meet others, and everything you need will be in close proximity. Students who live on-campus must also select a meal plan. Those requesting an exemption to the IUP residency requirement must complete a form with the Office of Housing, Residential Living, and Dining. Send questions to

  • Purchase Health Insurance

    Healthcare in the United States is very expensive. All F and J visa holders need to purchase health insurance for themselves and their dependents in case you have an emergency or need medical care while studying here. Students will be required to submit proof of health insurance coverage (in English) to the Office of International Education during orientation.  Immigration status cannot be validated until this requirement is met. 

    If you do not have insurance, bills can be as high as $5,000 for a simple emergency room visit, or $100 for a regular doctor’s visit. Minimal coverage requirements are listed below—this is what you can look for in an insurance policy. The Office of International Education is not able to advise you or assist you with purchasing health insurance. Please note that even basic health insurance in the United States does not cover all medical benefits like prescriptions or dental or vision.

  • Remember to Bring