International Student Employment Options

  • Employment opportunities and information for international students

  • F-1 Visa Students

    International students on an F-1 visa may not work off-campus during the first academic year, but may accept on-campus employment subject to certain conditions and restrictions. After the first year, F-1 students may engage in three types of off-campus employment. Employment options for F-1 students are listed below.

  • J-1 Visa Students

    The J-1 classification (exchange visitors) is authorized for those who intend to participate in an approved program for the purpose of teaching, instructing or lecturing, studying, observing, conducting research, consulting, demonstrating special skills, receiving training, or to receive graduate medical education or training.

    Some J-1 non-immigrants enter the United States specifically to work while others do not. Employment is authorized for J-1 non-immigrants only under the terms of the exchange program. Please check with your sponsoring agency for more information on any restrictions that may apply to you working in the United States

  • Resources