FAQ: Scholars

  • Q. What is the J-1 visa program?

    A. Please visit the Department of State website to learn more about the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program

    Q. How do I get my DS-2019?

    A. To obtain your DS-2019 Request Form, please write to intl-exchange@iup.edu. You must return this form with a copy of your passport, proof of funding and proof of English language proficiency.

    Q. Where do I apply for an exchange visitor J-1 visa?

    A. Once you obtain your invitation package including your DS-2019, you may apply for an exchange visitor J-1 visa at the nearest United States Embassy or Consulate in your country of residence.

    Q. Can I bring my family with me?

    A. If you intend to bring your spouse or children with you, you must inform IUP when you apply for your DS-2019 form and show proof of funding for yourself and each dependent. Each applicant/dependent must have their own original DS-2019 form. Dependents must apply for an exchange visitor J-2 visa when you apply for your visa. Please note that if your program requires you to live on-campus, you will not be allowed to bring any dependents with you.

    Q. Can I arrive early?

    A. You can arrive up to 30 days before your program begins.

    Q. Can I stay in the United States after my program has ended?

    A. There is a 30 day grace period for you to depart from the United States.