Paid Personal Leave for Faculty Members

  • Personal leave is to be used for absences for reasons of a personal nature. Personal leave shall be scheduled and granted for periods of time requested by an employee subject to management's responsibility to maintain efficient operations. 

    Earning Paid Personal Leave

    9-Month Teaching Faculty

    • Permanent, full-time faculty members and temporary, full-time faculty members appointed for a full academic year earn one paid personal day per semester.
    • Temporary, part-time faculty members do not earn personal leave.
    • To earn a paid personal leave day, the faculty member must have 30 days in an active pay status for each half calendar year.

    12-Month Administrative Faculty

    • 12-Month faculty members earn five paid personal days per calendar year. 
    • To earn a paid personal leave day, the faculty member must have 30 days in an active pay status in each one-fifth calendar year.

    Using Paid Personal Leave

    • Permanent full-time faculty member may request to use personal leave through Employee Self-Service (ESS).
    • Temporary faulty members must request to use personal leave by submitting an email to
    • Faculty members may request and be approved to use paid personal leave that is expected to be earned in the calendar year.
    • Requests to use personal leave should be made in advance if at all possible. Personal leave can be requested and used for unscheduled absences of an emergency nature.

    Carry-Over and Payment of Unused Paid Personal Leave

    • Personal leave does not carry over from year to year.
    • Permanent faculty members who retiree, resign, or otherwise separate from the university are entitled to receive a payout of unused personal leave. The payout is based on the number of days available on the last day of employment and the faculty member's salary at the time of separation.  

    Additional Information on Paid Personal Leave