Outdoor Space Reservation and Usage Policy

  • What Spaces are Available?

    • Maple/Grant Courtyard
    • Pratt Courtyard
    • Crimson Courtyard
    • Wallwork Courtyard
    • Northern Area Courtyard

    Who Can Reserve Spaces?

    Departments (staff and academic) and registered student organizations may request reservations at least two weeks prior to the date of their event. There is no charge for use of these areas.

    Reservation requests are submitted using the outdoor space reservation form. (This is a PDF document. If you do not have the free Adobe Reader you can use any computer on campus to use this form). Print and return the form to the Office of Housing, Residential Living, and Dining at least two weeks prior to your meeting or event. Requests submitted after this time period may be denied. If your request is approved, a confirmation will be e-mailed to you. Please remember your reservation is not final, and your event location should not be publicized until you have received a confirmation.


    OHRLD is not able to provide equipment for the outdoor spaces. University departments and student organizations can contact Facilities Operations at 724-357-2170 directly to make arrangements for equipment reservation and set up, along with outdoor electrical plugs. Organizations will also need to contact Facilities Operations at 724-357-4758 about custodial support and their availability. Fees may apply.

    Please help us maintain the beauty and safety of our outdoor spaces by following these guidelines:

    • Keep all sidewalks free of obstructions (tables, grills, inflatable objects, etc.).
    • Alcohol is not permitted on IUP residential property. Please familiarize yourself with the university’s alcohol policy in the Source Student Handbook.
    • Please clean up after yourselves and your guests. Garbage is to be removed from the premises after the event ends.

    Request Denials

    While we are happy to offer our outdoor space to serve the campus community, we are also cognizant that there might be times when having an outdoor event is not conducive to the academic community that we have created in the residence halls. There are specific times of the day and/or academic year when we might be unable to honor a request for an event. These times include, but are not limited to: quiet hours, finals period, maintenance work, etc. Your request will be examined and carefully considered, based on the criteria set by the Office of Housing, Residential Living, and Dining.

    Amplified Sound

    Amplified sound may be permitted; however, since our students reside in an academic community, approval of an event may or may not be granted if it does not meet community standards. Sound reinforcement of live music may not include subwoofers, long-throw speakers, woofers larger than fifteen inches, or heavy percussion, including large drums and heavy bass.


    Parking is extremely limited in these areas. Please refer to the campus parking map and advise your guests in advance of their parking options.

    We look forward to your consideration in planning your event in a timely fashion, and we know that changes may occur unexpectedly. Therefore, users must cancel reservations for facilities they will not use five days prior to the event. If users fail to cancel five days in advance, OHRL reserves the right to deny the student organization usage of our space.

    We appreciate you using our facilities, and ask that you please note that you are expected to comply with university policies. Failure to also comply with federal, state, and local law may result in the cancellation of future reservations and/or restriction from the use of academic classrooms. Discrimination in the use of these facilities regarding disability, race, religion, nationality, or sexual orientation is prohibited.