Transfer Students Leaving IUP

  • You may need to complete all or some of the steps listed below when transferring from IUP. Please take the time to read and understand the steps involved.


    Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

    All students applying for federal financial aid must complete the FAFSA. If you have already completed the FAFSA and IUP is not listed as a school choice on the original application, you can add IUP to your FAFSA at the FAFSA website by selecting “Make Corrections to a Processed FAFSA” (you will need your U.S. Department of Education PIN for this transaction). IUP’s school code is 003277. You can also call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-433-3243 and request that your FAFSA information be transmitted electronically to IUP. You will need your Data Release Number (DRN) for this transaction, which is on each page of your Student Aid Report (SAR). If you do not have your SAR, you can request a duplicate SAR by calling 1-800-433-3243 and it will be sent to your home address. Do not file a second FAFSA!

    Institutional Aid Applications

    In addition to the FAFSA, some schools require completion of other institutional aid applications and supplemental aid forms. Contact the Financial Aid Office at your new school regarding additional aid applications and deadline dates.

    Federal Direct Loans

    • Contact your new school of attendance to determine what the application process is to obtain a Direct and/or PLUS Loan.
    • If you are a winter/spring transfer, cancel your second disbursement(s) that was to be sent to IUP and inform your lender or guarantee agency of your new school of attendance.

    State Grants

    • Pennsylvania residents can apply for a Pennsylvania State Grant by completing the FAFSA. If you are a non-Pennsylvania resident, contact your state grant agency for state grant information.
    • If you applied using IUP's name and code, or if you are a January transfer, inform your state grant agency of this change. Pennsylvania residents can contact PHEAA at 1-800-692-7392.

    Other Required Forms

    Student Deferment Forms

    • If a deferment form must be completed to maintain your in-school status, take the required document to the appropriate office at your new school for completion.